Sleep schedules

• 5 Replies
Sleep schedules
« on: December 11, 2023, 09:34:39 am »
I know a lot of nerds are famous for staying up late, being night owls, etc. Some manage to make very strange sleep schedules that allow them a strange life, or a different way to handle things, etc.

Sometimes I get in a mood where I don't want to sleep until I'm fully exhausted so I stay up far, far too late.

When I was enrolled in school full time, I would attend school from 8am-4pm, then sleep from 6pm-10pm. Goof off/homework from 10pm to 2am, then sleep from 2am-7am.

Splitting your sleep into two blocks like this is called "biphasic sleep". I did not have a social life.

Currently I try to sleep from 10pm to 6am. 8 hours. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't. Usually I start "winding down" at 9pm.

Some aspire to the "uberman" sleep schedule which involves training your body to immediately drop to REM sleep, and having a 20 minute nap out of every 4 hour cycle. Total time spent sleeping: 2 hours per day. Lots of people try it, few can actually manage it.

Good sleep is important. How do YOU sleep, fishies? Do you have a regular schedule schedule you adhere to? Do you practice sleep hygiene?
m'lady

Re: Sleep schedules
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 10:34:49 am »
if i don't control my sleep patterns, I naturally wind up in biphasic sleep cycles sometimes.  either 3,5 or 4,4.  I hate it, its a nightmare.  All the hours lost and i'm constantly tired AND i'm not on anyone elses schedule.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 02:59:30 pm »
I'm stuck in 2-7 biphasic sleep right now!

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 05:02:35 am »
kimbo that sounds like hell!! do you have sleep hygeine?
m'lady

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 11:33:50 am »
I don't have sleep anything right now.  yesterday i was 4 hours awake, 2 hours asleep all day. its been like 8-4 for the past couple weeks.

I can't remember my sleep being this fucked up before.  I'm going to try and really stick to coffee early in the morning, melatonin at 8pm.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 09:15:32 am »
I caught a short-but-intense flu first week of December (no it wasn't COVID).  I recovered from it by doing something I haven't done in decades: I slept it off.  After almost an entire year of not getting more than five hours a night, I slept 10 hours at a time for a week... and for the two months since I've been getting seven hours a night on the regular.