Depression Foods

• 9 Replies
Depression Foods
« on: March 11, 2018, 11:49:08 am »
Post ur recepies with basic ingredients, low/no prep, quick & easy cooking, decent-enough nutrition, and good leftovers potential.
Because popcorn or a bag of chips or whatever isn't a real meal (although it is better than no food at all).

I'll start

Breakfast Sammich - not just for breakfast. You can eat dis anytime of day you want and it'll still be just as yummy
Get yourself this stuff:

• Eggs (I normally grab 2 so I can do two sammiches at once - breakie and lunch in one go!)
  • English muffin (if you don't have any then normal bread is okay too)
  • Cheese
  • Ham (or whatever already-cooked meat you have on hand, if you've got any
  • A bowl (glass is easier to clean later on)
  • A fork
  • A paper plate to slice things on and to hold your sammich when it's done
  • Some AL foil (this is the sekrit to an amazing breakfast sandwich)
  • Salt and Pepper and Onion powder (if you have it)
  • Whatever else you've got in the fridge that you think would be good (hot and/or bell peppers, broccoli, whatever you got, try it)

Alright got all your shit together? Here we go!

• Take those muffins, split 'em in half and throw 'em in the toaster
  • Slice up the cheese and ham into lil chunks and throw them in the bowl
  • Crack in the eggs
  • Toss in whatever else you've got, along with some salt and pepper if you want
  • Mix that shit up good and proper
  • Toss it in the microwave for a few minutes until there's no liquid floating around
  • Assemble the egg mixture and the muffins
  • I know you wanna eat it right now but wait, this is worth it
  • Wrap it all up in the foil and let it sit for a few minutes. Go smoke a cig or hit a bowl or something to celebrate - you just cooked some food yo
  • Come back and nom that shit down. Letting it sit in the foil lets it all kinda normalize and makes it taste at least 4x better

...why doesn't [ list type=decimal ] make it a list with numbers?
honk honk

Re: Depression Foods
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 06:35:28 pm »
...why doesn't [ list type=decimal ] make it a list with numbers?

I think it's something in the CSS for this theme, it has all of the list icons disabled.
*spork*

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 07:15:06 am »
Ultra-Lazy Sweet/Sour Lunch Sammich

From top to bottom, the sandwich contains:
(Preferred ingredient is on the left, alternatives on the right)
Honey wheat bread, or whole wheat, sourdough or white bread
Brown mustard, or some other kind of mustard (I haven't tried other kinds, but they shouldn't taste too bad)
Swiss cheese, or american cheese
Honey-baked ham, or some other type of ham, or turkey, or roast beef
Blackberry preserves, or grape preserves, or blackberry/grape jam or jelly
The other slice of bread

This only takes a paper towel, a spoon, and a knife to prepare.

Goes great with chocolate milk, milk, or OJ.
Why live?

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 07:40:23 pm »
1 pound spicy Italian sausage.
2 large cans diced tomatoes
1 large onion
1/2 tbs Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp red pepper flake or more depending on taste
1/2 tbs oregano  (hell try weed...)
2 bay leaves
1 cup red wine (feel free to drink the rest of that shit)
4 large cloves of garlic (large.... and i mean it.)
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
2tbs sugar
canola oil.
salt to flavor

FRESH Romano cheese (and make god damn sure its from Italy for fucks sake )

5 quart dutch oven.

dice onions and slowly saute in a light canola oil. salt the onions  lightly. gently cook those bad boys until they begin to turn slightly translucent

add the sausage and seasoning. brown with the onions and poor off most of the resultant grease. ( or save it for seasoning things later. pork fat is fucking culinary gold)

add tomatoes.

add bay leaf

simmer for at least 2 hours on very low.

in a large pot add no less then 1 gallon of salted water (about a tablespoon) and bring to a boil once at a vigorous boil add desired noodles and cover. let sit one minute and stir. turn off heat and walk away for 10 minutes. come back to your fucking perfect pasta and drain that shit. lather sauce on it and generously add cheese.

stuff your face.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:01:21 pm by ionicwake »
IM NAKED

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 12:14:35 am »
1 pound spicy Italian sausage.
2 large cans diced tomatoes
1 large onion
1/2 tbs Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp red pepper flake or more depending on taste
1/2 tbs oregano  (hell try weed...)
2 bay leaves
1 cup red wine (feel free to drink the rest of that shit)
4 large cloves of garlic (large.... and i mean it.)
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
2tbs sugar
canola oil.
salt to flavor

FRESH Romano cheese (and make god damn sure its from Italy for fucks sake )

5 quart dutch oven.

dice onions and slowly saute in a light canola oil. salt the onions  lightly. gently cook those bad boys until they begin to turn slightly translucent

add the sausage and seasoning. brown with the onions and poor off most of the resultant grease. ( or save it for seasoning things later. pork fat is fucking culinary gold)

add tomatoes.

add bay leaf

simmer for at least 2 hours on very low.

in a large pot add no less then 1 gallon of salted water (about a tablespoon) and bring to a boil once at a vigorous boil add desired noodles and cover. let sit one minute and stir. turn off heat and walk away for 10 minutes. come back to your fucking perfect pasta and drain that shit. lather sauce on it and generously add cheese.

stuff your face.

Is this really a depression food? To me it sounds like a delicious pasta
*spork*

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 10:17:48 pm »
its what i cook when im depressed. then i feed it to people. and i feel better.

RACHEL TIPPED 20 CORAL FOR THIS POST

IM NAKED

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 10:50:39 pm »
if you practice making a cheese omelette enough times, you can be black out wasted and still make it without burning yourself or making a giant mess.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The username I really wanted was Wetfish Forum Comment Commentator
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 02:18:29 am by Diabolizer »
aka luke

redheron

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 04:33:36 am »
every item in this thread contains cheese somewhere heckin dairy conspiracy

when I'm too depressed to cook (which is always) I usually eat sandwiches (peanut butter, or salami with brown mustard and hot sauce) or just. throw bag romaine lettuce in a bowl and slap some balsamic vinegrette on it. I know buying lettuce heads is cheaper but this is the depression foods thread and we're going for low effort here.

for hot foods, microwaved hot dogs get the same treatment as the salami (brown mustard, hot sauce, a bread slice) or just (have a rice cooker and) throw some rice in the rice cooker and just eat it straight up when its done. I used to get jars of curry sauce to pour on the rice and that was pretty simple.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:47:33 am by redheron »

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 07:19:24 pm »
if you practice making a cheese omelette enough times, you can be black out wasted and still make it without burning yourself or making a giant mess.

The username I really wanted was Wetfish Forum Comment Commentator

true
IM NAKED

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 07:14:43 am »
Ramen

seriously.
 keep a selection of pre cut frozen veggies.
make your ramen and add the veggies and some pre cooked chicken/pork for extra protein.
add some soy sauce and a little heat and eat up.
it's essentially a hotpot. but on the cheap and attainable in about 15 minutes.
and by all means play with some seasoning. ginger, garlic, chili powder, any green herb, cumin. just to name a few.

the trick is to have some stuff pre preped and frozen for bad days. which when your having good days can make for a nice accomplishment.
IM NAKED