Rant thread

• 10 Replies
Rant thread
« on: July 02, 2017, 03:39:38 pm »
i'm going to put rants here that I make a lot, so i can just link em instead of repeating them
m'lady

superheros suck
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 03:39:48 pm »
superheros suck there's n? narrative tension because the only form of conflit is physical violence, and you lose by dying.. but if the character dies the series is over and the company is out a lot of money! SUperman moving in with his girlfriend would be an actual Good Movie
m'lady

h

Re: Rant thread
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 02:44:00 pm »
shit my ass
dudeweed😂

Re: superheros suck
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 01:01:26 pm »
superheros suck there's n? narrative tension because the only form of conflit is physical violence, and you lose by dying.. but if the character dies the series is over and the company is out a lot of money! SUperman moving in with his girlfriend would be an actual Good Movie
it annoys me that superhero movies don't ever include some of the weirder powers and abilities out there, and instead just make everything into a contest of who can punch harder. throw in some variety! force the characters to use their wits to overcome the problem rather than punch their way out! now that the studios seem more willing to take risks then maybe this will change, but I doubt it.
no don't

Re: superheros suck
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 11:54:14 am »
it annoys me that superhero movies don't ever include some of the weirder powers and abilities out there, and instead just make everything into a contest of who can punch harder. throw in some variety! force the characters to use their wits to overcome the problem rather than punch their way out! now that the studios seem more willing to take risks then maybe this will change, but I doubt it.

a big problem is that writers mostly suck. there's a trope, "show, don't tell". Bad writing is Alice telling Bob that Carol is smart!! Good writing is Carol demonstrating to Alice and Bob that they are smart, by thinking of a solution the viewer wouldn't think of themselves, in a framework the viewer understands. This almost never happens onscreen.

The closest you usually get is DR Who style dream-logic in which the doctor is A GENIUS!!! but only because the viewer doesn't understand the framework (it's space magic) at the end of the episode you realize the doctor could've saved a lot of lives if he had just acted sooner. But he didn't, because Reasons.

So, no super smart supes, because writers are dumb.

An exception to this is Ellis, I'll read/watch anything he writes (even the castlevania anime) because he is not an idiot. He's a very good writer. Almost all of his stories boil down to detective stories, and when the detective is Enlightened or Gifted he's not a nasty snot like Dr House, in fact he tries to gently explain the world to other characters, (and the reader through Expository Dialogue). It's Good.
m'lady

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 12:23:29 pm »
yeah that's definitely true. I'm a writer who wishes more writers were smarter. maybe they should just stick to adapting stuff like this then:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:26:25 pm by Anomaly »
no don't

Race and adoption
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 09:27:18 pm »
https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/7/21/16005500/adoption-russia-us-orphans-abuse-trump

here's an article about americans adopting russian and that there's a HUGE DEMAND for them

the unspoken truth in the piece that is NEVER MENTIONED is that: people who adopt are mostly white, and mostly want white babies. Western russians are THE WHITEST PLACE EVER. "Caucasian" literally refers to that area that's Russia, Ukraine, Georgia. Worst euphemism.

Anyway the article mentions disasters as a reason people want to adopt; most of these disasters happen in brown countries but THAT'S NOT WHERE ALL THE PEOPLE GET ADOPTED FROM

you see anyone adopting kids from india? fucking NOPE
m'lady

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 09:27:41 pm »
Well race isn't real so...

its super popular to squawk GENDER IS A CONSTRUCT but i have never heard anyone say even once, RACE IS A CONSTRUCT

it is tho

it's entirely arbitrary

so for instance, chinese korean japanese are now considered "white" in america. there was a massive public information campaign about how cool asian people are, there were reparations paid to the japanese for their imprisonment in "internment camps" in ww2

but not for blacks!

in america, if you're slightly brown you're now black. there's a term, "redbone" which is a black woman passing as white.

and now that hispanic, indians, and muslims have entered the race fray, the racists are getting super autistic about it, IT'S ALL A CONSTRUCT

russians are held up as an example of Super White People tho they have more asian in them than most of us (most of the western ones don't have the eye fold tho)

in the US, "asian" doesn't include indian, signaporian, pretty much anyone who's brown without an eye fold. it's weird as hell. it has nothing to do with geography, it's just racist euphemisms for traits.

race, in itself, is a fucked up construct, and part of the US/white imperialism is teaching this construct to other countries we invade and cultures we absorb/override. fucked. up.
m'lady

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 09:28:14 pm »
im super pissed about race conditions
m'lady

Re: Race and adoption
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 02:54:43 am »
https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/7/21/16005500/adoption-russia-us-orphans-abuse-trump

here's an article about americans adopting russian and that there's a HUGE DEMAND for them

the unspoken truth in the piece that is NEVER MENTIONED is that: people who adopt are mostly white, and mostly want white babies. Western russians are THE WHITEST PLACE EVER. "Caucasian" literally refers to that area that's Russia, Ukraine, Georgia. Worst euphemism.

Anyway the article mentions disasters as a reason people want to adopt; most of these disasters happen in brown countries but THAT'S NOT WHERE ALL THE PEOPLE GET ADOPTED FROM

you see anyone adopting kids from india? fucking NOPE

Is it racist that if I was going to adopt I'd want the baby to look like me and my husband?
*spork*

Re: Race and adoption
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 05:32:06 pm »
Is it racist that if I was going to adopt I'd want the baby to look like me and my husband?
That's appearanceist! You're bad and you should feel bad.
signatures