Should I shave?

• 57 Replies

redheron

Re: Should I shave?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 11:12:49 am »

Ignore the accented jawline argument, that's for man-children with bad genetics. Unless you have bad jaw genetics don't do it.

Maybe I'm just against it because I only get scraggle-fuzz too and since I'm blonde it comes in three different colors and looks like shit. But seriously, that discipline to shave everyday is just a sprinkling of what people might think your real life discipline is like.
Have you ever been attracted to a man before

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 11:24:51 am »

Ignore the accented jawline argument, that's for man-children with bad genetics. Unless you have bad jaw genetics don't do it.

Maybe I'm just against it because I only get scraggle-fuzz too and since I'm blonde it comes in three different colors and looks like shit. But seriously, that discipline to shave everyday is just a sprinkling of what people might think your real life discipline is like.

I'm really picky when it comes to it. Aesthetics need to be perfect. Scraggly beards are for the lazy and those with poor facial aesthetics.

redheron

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 11:26:30 am »

I'm really picky when it comes to it. Aesthetics need to be perfect. Scraggly beards are for the lazy and those with poor facial aesthetics.
Nah though
Grow a light beard.

While some claim that the beard trend is over, the research says it's not.

According to a 2013 Australian study, the most attractive beard length is "heavy stubble," which comes after about 10 days of growth.

"Facial hair correlates not only with maturity and masculinity, but also with dominance and aggression," write authors Barnaby J. Dixson and Robert C. Brooks.

"An intermediate level of beardedness is most attractive," they added.

Your Mileage May Vary obviously but like, this is why asking for advice about this stuff isn't the best idea, and why my first post in this thread was "do you WANT to shave" because thats really the only thing that matters
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:28:25 am by redheron »

redheron

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 11:31:52 am »
Here's the link to the actual study, it's pretty interesting stuff

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 11:38:04 am »
on second thought dont shave with a razor just pluck the hairs out thank me later
愛してるよ~!!!

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 11:38:49 am »

Nah though
Grow a light beard.

While some claim that the beard trend is over, the research says it's not.

According to a 2013 Australian study, the most attractive beard length is "heavy stubble," which comes after about 10 days of growth.

"Facial hair correlates not only with maturity and masculinity, but also with dominance and aggression," write authors Barnaby J. Dixson and Robert C. Brooks.

"An intermediate level of beardedness is most attractive," they added.

Your Mileage May Vary obviously but like, this is why asking for advice about this stuff isn't the best idea, and why my first post in this thread was "do you WANT to shave" because thats really the only thing that matters

May as well continue pillaging and raping cities if we're using the "more manly" argument for it. It's the age of technology. May as well revert back to traditional gender roles if we're using outdated beliefs of what makes a gender more of that gender.
Polls don't mean anything since the only ones that agree with them are the ones that push peoples own agendas. (IE people's reaction to presidential polls)

jimin

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 11:43:57 am »

I'm no longer a student so can't access the full paper, but I assume this only took participants from the same culture i.e. same standards of attraction and beauty. This is obviously going to affect the results. In Korea, having pale, milky-smooth skin is the epitome of attractiveness for men and women alike (its common for men to wear makeup too); pretty much the opposite of the West.

jimin

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 11:44:19 am »
DELETE THIS

redheron

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 11:44:37 am »

I'm no longer a student so can't access the full paper, but I assume this only took participants from the same culture i.e. same standards of attraction and beauty. This is obviously going to affect the results. In Korea, being pale and having milky-smooth skin is the epitome of attractiveness for men and women alike (its common for men to wear makeup too); pretty much the opposite of the West.
Are you from Korea

jimin

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 11:45:10 am »
Are you from Korea

I will be moving there late 2017

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2016, 11:46:13 am »

I'm no longer a student so can't access the full paper, but I assume this only took participants from the same culture i.e. same standards of attraction and beauty. This is obviously going to affect the results. In Korea, being pale and having milky-smooth skin is the epitome of attractiveness for men and women alike (its common for men to wear makeup too); pretty much the opposite of the West.
Are you from Korea
he is a koreaboo dont listen to him

愛してるよ~!!!

redheron

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2016, 11:47:35 am »

May as well continue pillaging and raping cities if we're using the "more manly" argument for it. It's the age of technology. May as well revert back to traditional gender roles if we're using outdated beliefs of what makes a gender more of that gender.
Polls don't mean anything since the only ones that agree with them are the ones that push peoples own agendas. (IE people's reaction to presidential polls)
Dude there is a difference between a physical attribute of one's face, and an action that hurts people. Another part of that article reads
Be kind.

One of the most robust findings in psychology is the halo effect, a bias where you unconsciously take one aspect of somebody as a proxy for their overall character. It's why we think beautiful people are good at their jobs, even when they aren't.

But as Scott Barry Kaufman at Greater Good notes, the halo effect works in other ways too.

A 2014 Chinese study found that people who had positive personality traits ? like kindness and honesty ? were rated as more attractive than those with negative personality traits, like being evil or mean.

"Even though beauty is an assessment of fitness value, there is no reason why assessment of fitness needs to be purely physical," Kaufman writes, meaning that being kind makes you look like you'd be a stable, worthwhile mate.

jimin

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2016, 11:47:50 am »
he is a koreaboo dont listen to him

Here is a boyband that is considered one of the most attractive

redheron

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2016, 11:48:03 am »
Are you from Korea

I will be moving there late 2017
So no, you are not from Korea, you are a person with a fetish.

Ok.

jimin

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2016, 11:48:52 am »
So no, you are not from Korea, you are a person with a fetish.

Ok.

I don't see what this has to do with different cultures having different standards of beauty???