Adventures in Greed (Megacorps vs Everyday people)

• 145 Replies
Re: Adventures in Greed (Megacorps vs Everyday people)
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2020, 09:35:22 am »

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2020, 06:51:30 pm »
Quote from: https://taragrimface.tumblr.com/post/186996094466/mobile
“we could give you a link to this mp3 OR we could run it in a proprietary player app that must connect to the internet every time you hit the resume button”

how do we explain to children that all our tech briefly worked perfectly and over time we threw it all away for sleek menus and corporate opacity

when i upgraded from a flip phone to an iphone and realized i could no longer record and set a custom ringtone because apple wanted me to buy radio pop ringtones, i realized, oh cool new tech isnt made for us it’s made to exploit us and we are going to let it happen

100% true
m'lady

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2020, 06:10:24 pm »
It's time to fight back against spy tech.

We engineered a wearable microphone jammer that is capable of disabling microphones in its user’s surroundings, including hidden microphones. Our device is based on a recent exploit that leverages the fact that when exposed to ultrasonic noise, commodity microphones will leak the noise into the audible range.

http://sandlab.cs.uchicago.edu/jammer/

*spork*

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2020, 12:05:30 pm »
that would make a really cool choker imo

i mean granted it would look like an exploding slave collar, but
m'lady

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2020, 08:14:49 pm »
*spork*

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2020, 09:10:34 pm »

Super-rich people are panicking over the coronavirus ventilator shortage

At least 950,000 coronavirus patients in the US could need ventilators, according to the Society of Critical Care Medicine, but hospitals here have just 160,000. Between five to 10 companies in the world supply most of the planet’s breathing machines and they weren’t ready for this.

President Donald Trump said testily at a recent press conference that he was ordering “a lot” of ventilators although he was vague on the details.

Ventilators cost only about $35,000, peanuts to the elites. But because the US healthcare industry is about making money, no one heeded warnings going back more than a decade that the country should stockpile the machines.

“Hospitals in America are all about trying to be profitable, they’re not about being prepared for a disaster,” says Dr. Tim Kruse, who makes house calls in Aspen for his billionaire patients who are fretting about getting a ventilator if they need one. “Having a bunch of ventilators sitting around in storage affects their bottom line.”

*spork*

Fiscal responsibility 101
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2020, 02:59:17 pm »
*spork*

the first domino has fallen
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2020, 06:38:17 pm »

RACHEL TIPPED 420 CORAL FOR THIS POST

m'lady

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2020, 06:39:34 pm »

RACHEL TIPPED 1337 CORAL FOR THIS POST

NICEFISH TIPPED 1000 CORAL FOR THIS POST

m'lady

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2020, 11:06:53 am »
no don't

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2020, 09:26:45 am »

Take a break from social media
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2020, 06:06:41 pm »
Facebook exec explains why it's important to ban trolls from wetfish

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/11/16761016/former-facebook-exec-ripping-apart-society

Another former Facebook executive has spoken out about the harm the social network is doing to civil society around the world. Chamath Palihapitiya, who joined Facebook in 2007 and became its vice president for user growth, said he feels “tremendous guilt” about the company he helped create. “I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of countries around the world,” he told an audience at Stanford Graduate School of Business.

Palihapitiya’s criticisms were aimed not only at Facebook, but the wider online ecosystem. “The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created are destroying how society works,” he said, referring to online interactions driven by “hearts, likes, thumbs-up.” “No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth. And it’s not an American problem — this is not about Russians ads. This is a global problem.”
*spork*

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2020, 01:35:05 pm »
Mainstream news claiming that footage of explosions at a shooting range in Kentucky is war footage from Syria

Wat
*spork*

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2020, 09:11:47 pm »
All of these potatoes are getting thrown out by commercial growers because less people are eating at restaurants

*spork*

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2020, 06:35:11 pm »
"Vanguard" is a video game "anti-cheat" program that gets automatically run on peoples' computers after installing any game owned by Riot Games, Inc. Is always running in the background, even when you aren't playing games. Apparently now it blocks you from viewing your own CPU temperatures. Lol

https://old.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/gc3c7x/riot_vanguard_blocked_me_from_viewing_my_cpu/

This is getting way out of control, I can't access my files even when I am not playing Valorant. I'm starting to think Vanguard is mainly used for datamining purposes since there are already cheaters in the game and Riot can't do anything about it.

Edit: Yes, I uninstalled the game right after I took the screenshot. If you plan to do it too, be sure to also uninstall Riot Vanguard because they uninstall separately, which is very shady as well.
*spork*