• 24 Replies
Re: POLL: How are you?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 10:54:31 pm »
teach me algebra luke

Linear, abstract, or otherwise?
aka luke

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 11:03:36 pm »
Someone do my Lin Alg work for me. This shit takes forever and it's boring.

I love lin alg!  Are you trying to find a basis or have you moved to eigenvectors?

Final strech with eigenvectors. Tbh, it probably wouldn't be so bad if the professor wasn't shit so I have to teach myself this stuff as I go.
He messes up the book examples he just rewrites on the board, rephrases it as if he meant to ask us what his mistake was meant to be the entire time, and if no one says anything says the book must have a mistake. It's a nightmare.

And I took him for another class this same semester as well.

I never understood the idea that you weren't supposed to teach yourself everything, especially in a math or physics class.  But maybe that's my learning disorder.  But never the less, I got a math/physics degree, so take that universe!

I understand that though I think If I'm shelling out quite a bit of money for classes I should at least go away with the basic concepts to build off of myself. Not something like, from a question and answer to what someone asked in class, "What are the basis vectors?" -> "The basis vectors are the main vectors." -> "Well how do you know?" -> "Uh, well if they're the basis vectors on the diagonal then those are the vectors, and if they're not it's not the basis vector." Literally stuff that like.

It almost seems more beneficial to hire a personal tutor, learn for the entire semester, then just test out of having to take the class and getting the credits. It would only be 1/2 of the cost per class then at that point for the same amount of time a week at that point too.

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 12:05:57 am »
To be fair, the student should have asked, "What is the definition of basis vectors?" or "How do you define basis vector?" though his answer is still shitty.
aka luke

woodneko

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 07:29:12 am »
This is so off topic

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 05:10:52 pm »
This is so off topic

WOULD YOU MIND POSTING ON TOPIC INSTEAD OF OFF TOPIC ABOUT SOMETHING OFF TOPIC THEN?

woodneko

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 05:30:40 pm »
This is so off topic

WOULD YOU MIND POSTING ON TOPIC INSTEAD OF OFF TOPIC ABOUT SOMETHING OFF TOPIC THEN?

my insides are currently trying to kill me, so there's that

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2018, 11:57:16 pm »

I love lin alg!  Are you trying to find a basis or have you moved to eigenvectors?

Final strech with eigenvectors. Tbh, it probably wouldn't be so bad if the professor wasn't shit so I have to teach myself this stuff as I go.
He messes up the book examples he just rewrites on the board, rephrases it as if he meant to ask us what his mistake was meant to be the entire time, and if no one says anything says the book must have a mistake. It's a nightmare.

wtf is an eigenvector? I've heard of eigenfaces before while working with OpenCV facial recognition. Presumably they're related?
*spork*

woodneko

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2018, 10:08:10 am »
systems are nominal

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2018, 11:34:24 am »

wtf is an eigenvector? I've heard of eigenfaces before while working with OpenCV facial recognition. Presumably they're related?

When you do a transformation of a vector you sometimes get the same vector that just has a different magnitude. These are the vector multiplied by some scalar value to stretch or move it in that way. A scalar is just a coefficient really (like, 2x, where x would be some vector and 2 is the multiple of that). It's pretty negligible for most equations that aren't dependent on exact values, like finding distance between things, but you can ignore it for things like finding planes of tangency and stuff. Just based off Calc 3 and Lin Alg though.

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 04:39:30 am »

When you do a transformation of a vector you sometimes get the same vector that just has a different magnitude. These are the vector multiplied by some scalar value to stretch or move it in that way. A scalar is just a coefficient really (like, 2x, where x would be some vector and 2 is the multiple of that). It's pretty negligible for most equations that aren't dependent on exact values, like finding distance between things, but you can ignore it for things like finding planes of tangency and stuff. Just based off Calc 3 and Lin Alg though.

What do you mean by, "it's pretty negligible for most equations that aren't dependent on exact values"?
aka luke