Even the rich aren't happy

• 5 Replies

Re: Even the rich aren't happy
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 06:46:43 pm »
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/09/meritocracys-miserable-winners/594760/

Can you post a summary, quote from the article, or something interesting you learned? Otherwise I'm moving this to shitpost central. Please try to put a little more effort into general discussion threads.
*spork*

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 11:36:09 pm »
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/09/meritocracys-miserable-winners/594760/

Can you post a summary, quote from the article, or something interesting you learned? Otherwise I'm moving this to shitpost central. Please try to put a little more effort into general discussion threads.

Why?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 12:54:46 am by Diabolizer »
aka luke

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 05:24:08 pm »

Why?
You didn't really make a post, you just copy pasted a link. Shitpost central is where low-effort posting goes. You gotta actually discuss something in this forum.
🎷🐕

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 05:51:37 pm »
So when I originally posted this, I had written out a few paragraphs about interlocking systems of morality, evolution, psychology, and sociology.  Basically what it came down to is that I theorize when you reach a certain threshold of wealth you start to identify as a different "tribe".  Or other people start to identify you as a separate tribe.  (I won't go into what I mean by tribe here as that's a complicated idea, but if anyone wants to hash that out, we can get into it.)  Anyway, this I think this separateness can can some psychological displacement in some individuals which causes them to become dysfunctional e.g. unhappy. 

When I wrote all that (I even might still have the google document), I realized that it was a lot of mental masturbation.  I had taken a hard look at what I wanted to say, but I hadn't taken that hard a look at why I wanted to say it.  In the end, I decided that my take on the matter was better left unsaid until someone else offered their take, that way I could respond to them instead of responding to myself. 

So in fact, a lot of effort was put into what to say for this post and even more effort was put into the decision not to say anything at all.  In the future, I'll try to include more entry points into what I found important about the topic, so that people have something to respond to.
aka luke

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 09:32:29 pm »
So when I originally posted this, I had written out a few paragraphs about interlocking systems of morality, evolution, psychology, and sociology.  Basically what it came down to is that I theorize when you reach a certain threshold of wealth you start to identify as a different "tribe".  Or other people start to identify you as a separate tribe.  (I won't go into what I mean by tribe here as that's a complicated idea, but if anyone wants to hash that out, we can get into it.)  Anyway, this I think this separateness can can some psychological displacement in some individuals which causes them to become dysfunctional e.g. unhappy. 

When I wrote all that (I even might still have the google document), I realized that it was a lot of mental masturbation.  I had taken a hard look at what I wanted to say, but I hadn't taken that hard a look at why I wanted to say it.  In the end, I decided that my take on the matter was better left unsaid until someone else offered their take, that way I could respond to them instead of responding to myself. 

So in fact, a lot of effort was put into what to say for this post and even more effort was put into the decision not to say anything at all.  In the future, I'll try to include more entry points into what I found important about the topic, so that people have something to respond to.

I think the concept of rich people belonging to a different "tribe" is really interesting. At what point does that happen though? Like people who are so rich they fly a private jet into Burning Man? People who think bananas cost $10?

What about people who have been both poor and rich in their life?
*spork*