Once you use a domain for e-mail, you need to pay for it forever

• 7 Replies
Once you use a domain for e-mail, you need to pay for it forever
« on: February 29, 2024, 09:55:59 pm »
Otherwise someone can register your old domain and use password reset to get access to any account that has one of those e-mails
Major downside of hosting your own e-mail

Re: Once you use a domain for e-mail, you need to pay for it forever
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 09:59:11 pm »
good advice, but depending on the service you can just change your email address. Most websites let you change the email address associated with your account
*spork*

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 10:04:29 pm »
good advice, but depending on the service you can just change your email address. Most websites let you change the email address associated with your account
Yes but you will have to remember everything that has that email address
There may be some store you bought from 10 years ago that has your address and you can see it if you recover the account

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 10:36:18 pm »
Yes but you will have to remember everything that has that email address
There may be some store you bought from 10 years ago that has your address and you can see it if you recover the account

I think it's inevitable that people will get ahold of my prior addresses. I am registered to vote, and a business owner lol. Also sometimes when I log into a bank account they're like "woah ur using linux are you a hacker??? please verify this random information" and it's like some car I had and address I lived at 10 years ago. Afaik anyone can pay like $100 to some aggregator company to get a list of my previous addresses if they really wanted to be a stalker. I'm more concerned about obfuscating my current address and physical security
*spork*

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 10:43:26 pm »
True, address is only one example of something you might not want people to see. Maybe there can be other things like what you ordered from the store

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 10:49:50 pm »
I'm glad wetfish and gmail are the only things I use for email. Maybe someone will try to hack into all my accounts after I die, or companies will be legally required to purge information from dead people? Who knows...
*spork*

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 05:59:24 am »
It's a good thing I didn't get my own domain name; I use @canada.com instead and that means I'll never have to... what?  Canoe bought it and kicked everyone out?   Well, that's fine, I'm also using my @microsoft.com address I have from being an employee... oh, I don't work there anymore so I'm locked out.  That's fine, I still have my Geocities mailbox... my Orkut mailbox, wait, I mean my Friendster mailbox, no, wait, my Facebook mailbox is still there if they'd just get around to the tech support ticket I filed in 2013 so I can get back in.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 08:21:50 am »
It's a good thing I didn't get my own domain name; I use @canada.com instead and that means I'll never have to... what?  Canoe bought it and kicked everyone out?   Well, that's fine, I'm also using my @microsoft.com address I have from being an employee... oh, I don't work there anymore so I'm locked out.  That's fine, I still have my Geocities mailbox... my Orkut mailbox, wait, I mean my Friendster mailbox, no, wait, my Facebook mailbox is still there if they'd just get around to the tech support ticket I filed in 2013 so I can get back in.

It's okay to be locked out if nobody else can take your alias.