Developers remove games from Steam over Valve's Black Lives Matter silence

• 2 Replies
Original story, June 16, 2020: Several indie developers have removed their games from Steam to protest against Valve's lack of support for the Black Lives Matter movement.
source

do you guys think taking games off steam will be a big enough deal to valve for them to make a nice corporate statement about BLM?

"It's clearer than ever that the owners of this platform feel beholden to a base of angry white male gamers. This makes me especially sad because I feel that some of these people are the people who most need to hear the message of Black Lives Matter."
also do you guys think the base of Angry White Gamers is real? is that a thing? i honestly don't know

Update, June 17, 2020: Following Glander's announcement that he was removing his games from Steam, organiser Shawn Alexander Allen tweeted that Valve had “pledged to be a big sponsor of the Game Devs of Color Expo,” as well as a support for the Black Voices in Gaming event hosted by Media Indie Exchange founder Justin Woodward.

maybe FUBU (For Us By Us) could get into video games?
--
how do you guys feel about Corporations getting into politics like this?

on the one hand, whenever i see any LGBT/BLM "statements" or pinkwashing or whatever, i feel like i'm being emotionally manipulated. especially when its a very exploitive corporation. then i feel mad.
on the other hand if corps said nothing and pretend nothings happening, people get mad at them.
on the other hand, its definitely good to normalize gay shit and make the world more accessible to and forcibly acceptable of weirdos. i like the world weirder.
on the other hand this is some real Pink Police Car Shit -- painting a billy club pink does not make it any less painful when it smashes you.

on the other hand its better than doing nothing, right? and just leaving things the same way they've been forever? but change is always scary to at least some people.
m'lady

Where the fuck is my whale pawg nypd cop car. I wish they would stop raping me.

KAYIMBO TIPPED 333 CORAL FOR THIS POST

o bb

Original story, June 16, 2020: Several indie developers have removed their games from Steam to protest against Valve's lack of support for the Black Lives Matter movement.
source

do you guys think taking games off steam will be a big enough deal to valve for them to make a nice corporate statement about BLM?

"It's clearer than ever that the owners of this platform feel beholden to a base of angry white male gamers. This makes me especially sad because I feel that some of these people are the people who most need to hear the message of Black Lives Matter."
also do you guys think the base of Angry White Gamers is real? is that a thing? i honestly don't know

Update, June 17, 2020: Following Glander's announcement that he was removing his games from Steam, organiser Shawn Alexander Allen tweeted that Valve had “pledged to be a big sponsor of the Game Devs of Color Expo,” as well as a support for the Black Voices in Gaming event hosted by Media Indie Exchange founder Justin Woodward.

maybe FUBU (For Us By Us) could get into video games?
--
how do you guys feel about Corporations getting into politics like this?

on the one hand, whenever i see any LGBT/BLM "statements" or pinkwashing or whatever, i feel like i'm being emotionally manipulated. especially when its a very exploitive corporation. then i feel mad.
on the other hand if corps said nothing and pretend nothings happening, people get mad at them.
on the other hand, its definitely good to normalize gay shit and make the world more accessible to and forcibly acceptable of weirdos. i like the world weirder.
on the other hand this is some real Pink Police Car Shit -- painting a billy club pink does not make it any less painful when it smashes you.

on the other hand its better than doing nothing, right? and just leaving things the same way they've been forever? but change is always scary to at least some people.

The angry white gamer does exist, but I think the reason that Valve didn't say anything is because they are Canadien.
aka luke