Darksky shutting down - Time for an open weather alternative

• 3 Replies
Darksky has been my favorite weather website for years. They provide down to the minute weather forecasts like: Light rain starting in 10 minutes, turning into heavy rain after 30 minutes, and stopping after 50 minutes. It's' pretty dope.

Unfortunately they were bought by Apple and now will be shutting down their Android app, website, and API. They will continue to exist on iOS only. I guess $1000 every year from anyone who buys their phone wasn't enough for these greedy assholes. It's pretty fucked up.

Anyway, I've decided to start using OpenWeatherMap instead. https://openweathermap.org/weathermap?basemap=map&cities=true&layer=radar&lat=35&lon=-80&zoom=8

It doesn't look as nice as Darksky but at least it has radar data and they have an API for developers and a lot of pages on their site / blog talking about how open data is important, so that's cool.

*spork*

Re: Darksky shutting down - Time for an open source weather alternative
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 02:54:45 pm »

https://blog.darksky.net/

By Adam Grossman on March 31, 2020.

Today we have some important and exciting news to share: Dark Sky has joined Apple.

Our goal has always been to provide the world with the best weather information possible,

Today we have some exciting news to share!! If you don't use an apple product: FUCK YOU.

[Insert 5 paragraphs of corporate doublespeak explaining why this is a "good thing"]
*spork*

Re: Darksky shutting down - Time for an open weather alternative
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 03:04:40 pm »
i pretty much just use MyRadar, it has tons of "premium" featuers i have no need for, an ad bar at the bottom, and it gives me emergency updates (tornados! hurricanes!) based on my last gps location when i opened the app: it doesn't track me constantly and it doesn't drain battery. it also gives me things like "rain starting in 20 minutes"

and it doesn't just work off zipcodes! it'll grab the nearest town for a forecast but warnings work on satellite image and NOAA warning areas

anyway that concludes my shilling for a closed source app thats probably barely making money off me
m'lady

Re: Darksky shutting down - Time for an open weather alternative
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 04:02:00 pm »
i pretty much just use MyRadar, it has tons of "premium" featuers i have no need for, an ad bar at the bottom, and it gives me emergency updates (tornados! hurricanes!) based on my last gps location when i opened the app: it doesn't track me constantly and it doesn't drain battery. it also gives me things like "rain starting in 20 minutes"

and it doesn't just work off zipcodes! it'll grab the nearest town for a forecast but warnings work on satellite image and NOAA warning areas

anyway that concludes my shilling for a closed source app thats probably barely making money off me

Unfortunately it looks like they only have a mobile app with no website for weather information?
*spork*