TFW accidentally black mold

• 3 Replies
TFW accidentally black mold
« on: July 04, 2020, 02:53:48 am »
The one "test" culture plate I had that cracked.. i covered the crack with mycopore tape hoping it would help and added it along with the "control" plate.  a dark/Black mold erupted on the side of the rim inside the dish.  So far the control plate seems unaffected. The bad plate has been thrown in the garbage.  Anyway.. oof.  So i guess if a plate cracks it cracks don't bother trying to seal it with anything, just pass go, collect 200$ and start over.
carpetdime

Re: TFW accidentally black mold
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 03:45:46 am »
The one "test" culture plate I had that cracked.. i covered the crack with mycopore tape hoping it would help and added it along with the "control" plate.  a dark/Black mold erupted on the side of the rim inside the dish.  So far the control plate seems unaffected. The bad plate has been thrown in the garbage.  Anyway.. oof.  So i guess if a plate cracks it cracks don't bother trying to seal it with anything, just pass go, collect 200$ and start over.

This needs more back story.
aka luke

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 08:41:49 am »
How much does a petri dish cost anyway? I can't imagine they are very expensive
*spork*

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 08:23:14 am »
How much does a petri dish cost anyway? I can't imagine they are very expensive
disposable plastic ones are very cheap but they don't come sealed individually and you can't really sterilize them once you open the bag and some flop opened.

glass ones you could clean and sterilize are like upwards of 20$ or so per unless you want used ones crusted with only god knows or "irregulars" that don't really fit together right plus whatever the cost of a bag of giant pouches would be.  Plastic ones come pre-sterilized with radiation and its like 20-40$ for a few sleeves of em, but they crack super easy even when trying to put sealing tape around if you just put your thumb in the wrong spot.

carpetdime