Moral Enhancement

• 17 Replies
Re: Moral Enhancement
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 05:18:18 pm »
Medicines that modify one's powers of judgement can be dangerous; you're modifying the measuring-stick used to determine whether you should change the measuring-stick.  (eg. a drunk person often decides incorrectly whether it's okay to have another drink.)  It'd work if you can trust an outside observer (someone outside your own psyche), but holy frejoles we teach each other to shun trust.  We are constantly telling each other stories of when trust was abused and betrayed.  So why should I put my trust in someone else for an activity that modifies my own powers of judgement and evaluating whether the trust is deserved?

Isn't that what therapy is?
aka luke

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 08:56:53 am »
Medicines that modify one's powers of judgement can be dangerous; you're modifying the measuring-stick used to determine whether you should change the measuring-stick.  (eg. a drunk person often decides incorrectly whether it's okay to have another drink.)  It'd work if you can trust an outside observer (someone outside your own psyche), but holy frejoles we teach each other to shun trust.  We are constantly telling each other stories of when trust was abused and betrayed.  So why should I put my trust in someone else for an activity that modifies my own powers of judgement and evaluating whether the trust is deserved?

What about anti-depressants?
aka luke

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2020, 06:38:15 pm »
Isn't that what therapy is?

Therapy is slower, and gradual.  You're less likely to fall off a cliff if you're walking than if you're driving a car.

Quote from: Diabolizer
What about anti-depressants?

We know a lot less about them and any other psychoactive drugs than the people selling this merchandise would have you believe.  In my personal experience, it was useful but it was not a panacea.  The people who advised me to take the medicine to alter my psyche thought it was a panacea and thought nothing of what else I might need... but I did not have confidence in my powers of judgment, and they were confident in theirs.  Who can you trust to tinker on your ability to judge if they're trustworthy?