Factorio

• 5 Replies
Factorio
« on: August 19, 2020, 07:11:45 am »
Factorio 1.0 has finally dropped after being in development for 8½ years.

There is a wiki to help you play this complex thing
There is a demo to help you decide if you like it before you buy

Here is the 1.0 launch trailer

It's neither open source nor free.

It is DRM free and very easy to pirate. But then you don't get mods or multiplayer.
Right now it is $30 (in whatever your local currency is). It never goes on sale, and only goes up in price as the game improves.
Everything has been meticulously built by professionals. Sprites, animations, sounds, gameplay, language (21 supported languages!) and it shows.
You can adjust everything in the game to make it however you want. Personally I turn off aliens.
There is an overarching goal but the ultimate win condition is your own satisfaction. And if that's not enough, you can mod it with Lua.

You will either love it or hate it.

I love it.
m'lady

Re: Factorio
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 02:41:18 pm »
devnill loves this game and weazzy set up a community factorio server a year or two ago

it's interesting to think how games might shape how you perceive things - start a colony, mine shit, kill the mutant natives, blast off into space once you've trashed the planet

imagine if there was a game that taught people to be nice to each other instead
*spork*

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 12:53:54 pm »
omg that's so cool I'll ask weazzy!
m'lady

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 06:01:29 pm »
devnill loves this game and weazzy set up a community factorio server a year or two ago

it's interesting to think how games might shape how you perceive things - start a colony, mine shit, kill the mutant natives, blast off into space once you've trashed the planet

imagine if there was a game that taught people to be nice to each other instead

This hit me when I was playing Minecraft and people were tearing down some cool looking mountains to build a shitty castle thing. There's definitely a core assumption in games about what "progress" looks like

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 06:04:03 pm »
i prefer the aliens not to exist i just want my factory to work
m'lady

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 06:15:37 pm »
There's a mod for a katamari ball vehicle. I don't think it actually works like a katamari but i haven't tried it.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/katamari
m'lady