road hoboism

• 17 Replies

Ozmiander

road hoboism
« on: January 07, 2021, 03:37:27 pm »
first, fly across the country to buy a 22 year old truck and then drive it home like you don't give a fuck:

Then, buy an overpriced cargo trailer, because the market is FUCKED and 5 year old used trailers are the same price as new!

THEN, realize you'll need to install a 7 pin connector and brake controller, because this trailer has ELECTROMAGICAL brakes!  But before that, test the existing 4 pin connector, because your new one will use that to feed four of the seven pins for your new one!

Oops, go fuck yourself! The california/colorado heat and sun has BAKED that mother fucker into brittle pieces of shit!

Ozmiander

Re: road hoboism
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 03:37:40 pm »

Got some 3/4" poplar, and made exactly two cuts before my fingers started falling off.  But, i now have the top for my sleeping platform!

Ozmiander

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 11:31:55 am »
Fuck waiting, let's start loading all our shit in and see if the trailer snaps in half.

Nothing yet, so it'll happen after i hit the road i assume.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 02:33:14 pm »
Your gas can looks cold
*spork*

Ozmiander

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 02:48:23 pm »
Your gas can looks cold

SHRINKAGE IS NORMAL

Ozmiander

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 10:40:00 am »
Installed the factory style 4flat harness, and ran the power/brake wires from the 7 pin connector at the rear bumper, along the frame and into the engine bay.  I'll return to finish and take pics when i can feel my fingers.

Ozmiander

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 02:11:13 pm »
Got a bunch more shit in the trailer, still need to fit misc junk, and then my gun/ammo safes, but those will be the last things, obviously:

Got most of the trailer wiring done.  I only mounted the bracket with zip ties though because i don't want it to hang down there long term.

Stopped at the point where i need to penetrate the firewall because my fingers were cold and i ran out of black 12ga.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 12:45:48 pm »
I'm thinking about getting one of these

*spork*

woodneko

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 12:55:36 pm »

this is just sleeping in a car with extra steps. what is the tent actually doing?

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 01:00:30 pm »

this is just sleeping in a car with extra steps. what is the tent actually doing?

making it so I don't suffocate

I woke up repeatedly during the night when I tried sleeping in my car with headaches and a weird feeling that only went away when I opened the door and got fresh air

presumably from CO2 build up
*spork*

Ozmiander

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 01:00:41 pm »

Providing slightly more space and greatly increased airflow, which is a huge problem in car camping.

woodneko

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 01:10:59 pm »

Providing slightly more space and greatly increased airflow, which is a huge problem in car camping.

i guess the airflow makes sense, still I don't think this looks water tight in the event it rains

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 01:27:37 pm »
i guess the airflow makes sense, still I don't think this looks water tight in the event it rains

https://www.habitents.com/faq-s/

3. RAIN  The hatchback acts as the "roof" of the Habitents.  Rain that sheds down the rear part of the hatch flows down and off the rear bumper.  For rain that sheds forward, the Habitents takes advantage of the Prius' built-in gutter system by shedding rain into the gutter between the roof and front of the hatch, on to the gutters on each side and out the back.  Seamsealing is not necessary or recommended.

Priuses have built in rain gutters around the hatchback, rain flows from the top of the hatchback into the gutter and onto the ground. I have opened my trunk many times in the rain / snow and it never gets inside the car

*spork*

woodneko

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 11:36:56 am »
wow, cars with rain gutters are pretty nifty

Ozmiander

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 11:41:10 am »
All cars have gutters.