Wetfish Town Hall Meeting

• 86 Replies
Re: Wetfish Town Hall Meeting
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2023, 10:04:45 am »
I won't be able to attend the Town Hall Meeting today, I have a scheduling conflict (date with a cute farmer girl)

SORRY Y'ALL
*spork*

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2023, 10:09:33 am »
I have a scheduling conflict

This is why you use a Redundant Array of Working Rachels (RAWR) instead of single unique assets in an enterprise.

FIREFLY TIPPED 5 CORAL FOR THIS POST

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2023, 02:13:40 pm »
I won't be able to attend the Town Hall Meeting today, I have a scheduling conflict (date with a cute farmer girl)

SORRY Y'ALL

I mean, she could just attend with you, right? Nothing says panty-dropper (or compatibility filter) like a Wetfish Town Hall Meeting!

(enjoy your date!)

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2023, 02:14:33 pm »
Something worth discussing if anyone does show up to the town hall today:

Goos and I have been trying to identify the root cause of some recent latency that users have been noticing between the Matrix bridge and IRC. Messages from IRC are appearing in Matrix immediately, but occasionally messages from Matrix are not being sent to IRC for 5-10 minutes. Goos thinks it could be a locking issue in postgres caused by users who are in large channels on other homeservers.

Matrix / Synapse support channels have not given us any helpful insight, and we have yet to find anyone else reporting similar issues on GitHub.

We would like to schedule another maintenance window for the Matrix server to upgrade to the latest version (there have been a few major updates released over the past couple months).

Is there any time in particular that works best for everyone? I'm thinking Wednesday night, March 8th for a maintenance window of a couple hours.
*spork*

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2023, 02:48:51 pm »

Is there any time in particular that works best for everyone? I'm thinking Wednesday night, March 8th for a maintenance window of a couple hours.

To clarify: a time for those helping with maintenance, or a time for users to not have service?

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2023, 03:06:45 pm »

To clarify: a time for those helping with maintenance, or a time for users to not have service?

For users to not have service, goos will be handling the maintenance. Feel free to follow along with our troubleshooting process by joining #ops. The #ops channel is dedicated to internal Wetfish network administration discussion
*spork*

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2023, 01:57:21 pm »
was there a town hall for april or may?
aka luke

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2023, 02:14:58 pm »
was there a town hall for april or may?

Yes to both.
*spork*

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2023, 06:26:54 pm »
Town hall June 2023

standard found a way to hack the system -- goes on a lesbian dating site   to ask for a math tutor in exchange for cuddles.

Is the bounties page up-to-date?
  rachel: "it is, two exceptions:  pastebin claimed by emergence, and captcha changes are in testing."

pdonghole: "if someone's literally a nazi, are they allowed in?"
  rachel: "I know who you're talking about.  some of the things they said in wetfish was against the rules.  Typical Nazi stuff, blaming Jews, unironically."
  pdonghole: "and dog-whistle nazi stuff like claiming lineage from Hyperborea"
  meleeman: "Are we banning someone just because one person hates them?"
  mozai: "people have complained about him since 2018"
  rachel: "he'd low-effort hit on me in PMs, and harass kate."
  meleeman: "oh."
The person is banned, g-lined with "being a neo-Nazi"

- Spidey came to Colorado
- Killdozer party on June 4th
- rachel did more code review for docker-ization project, working   with goos
- Anomaly is working on new forum paperdoll props and has stuff to   show off
- new wetfish homepage, including for mobile browswers
- want to get away from web stuff, it's a saturated market; the NASA  contract was the most lucrative thing yet.  more nature conservation,   more industrual prototype stuff, goos and rachel talking about what   to bring to trade shows
- nature conservation, Spidey helping with nature photos and beavering,   rachel using Josie's camera for videos
- designs for a solar power array in the mountain with Colin; we have   the pieces just need to make a frame to affix them to
- new production server should overcome neptun's trouble uploading music   and meleeman's trouble making captcha stuff

standard: want to go to neolipcon with me?  mid-July in Washington DC.
rachel: sorry, I'll be in Spain.

NEPNEP TIPPED 500 CORAL FOR THIS POST

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 08:14:30 pm by Mozai »

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2023, 06:17:01 pm »
Tune in on Monday, July 3rd, for another Wetfish Town Hall. This month we'll be featuring a special guest: goos, head of wetfish's devops department, discussing the new wetfish prod server setup and when getting community feedback on the best time for doing another maintenance window for our matrix server.
*spork*

« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2023, 06:28:14 pm »
2023-07 meeting

## resident experts ##
Rachel: what d'y'all feel about hiring experts to hang out in wetfish?  [link in forums]  like a car mechanic in #carfish, and I met a doctor at Burning Man.  We don't have a budget but maybe when we do.
standard: yeah I did that with my gambling winnings; had someone just chime in about economics who just schooled us to keep us from going down rabbit-holes
commmie: experts, like a therapist? holy shit
rachel: well, not a pro, but someone who knows psychology to hang out in #feelings
standard: we should do something about ableist slurs, that could scare away the experts you hire.
rachel: so how about you and pdonghole enforce that since you seem most interested?  standard, do you feel you'd be more comfortable inviting black people if you had moderator powers?

## new computer equipment ##
rachel: gaysanta is inviting new users.  Biggest issue is the broken captcha.  Gotta update with the current prod and test servers.  goos is here to talk about that.
goos: yeah, follow the github, automated builds when merge to the release branch.
rachel: matrix server upgrade?
goos: looking at flagging inactive users, not sure what else, monitoring is messed up right now.
rachel: we disabled user registration after the spam attack.  The synapse control panel you installed was nice.  set up sendgrid again so we can enable user registration?

## new forum paperdoll gear ##
Rachel: My forum avatar doesn't have new items, we dont have new
items yet, I just changed my avatar with existing shop items.
Anomaly's working on new NPC items for the forums.  She's working
on something where we can play doctor and get drugs.

## Anomaly news ##
Anomaly is scheduled to be gainfully unemployed, and part of that
is going to Burning Man w/ rachel.  Might be using the secure ticket
exchange program (STEP).  May be out of touch for a bit because
of the awful that is changing medicine.

## LAND party ##
Solar arrays (multiple!) under construction at the land party, for
the wildlife camera.  (what camera?  just a Go-Pro) [link] to photos
of solar array.  Avery's working on building a cabin.

## Business accounting ##
Recession affecting our clients, gotta reduce salaries, ugh.  We have
a year of runway after people volunteered to take a pay-cut.  Finishing
up our client projects now, then improve the wetfish website to help
bring new clients in.

## Progress metre ##
Last month's goals were solar array and new prod servers, they're
done-ish, and rachel's proud.  New prod server means meeleeman's
captcha fix, and the new pastebin by emergence.  Mozai's supposed
to docker-ize anime night too.

## New business ##
creature is new, wanted to see civic engagement at work. what did
you think?  "I think it will be very interesting to see how these
play out."  Confirmed he is a science-fiction double feature
creature.

standard is helping with a town trans(ition) committee; rachel suggested
handing out wetfish cards at strategic times.

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2023, 02:19:12 am »
The next Wetfish Town Hall meeting is being postponed a week due to Burning Man.

Instead of being held on the first Monday in September (9/4), the meeting will be held on the second Monday in September (9/11)

Thank you everyone who attends these meetings every month! 💖
*spork*

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2023, 12:26:52 pm »
And thanks for all that you do.

The next Wetfish Town Hall meeting is being postponed a week due to Burning Man.

Instead of being held on the first Monday in September (9/4), the meeting will be held on the second Monday in September (9/11)

Thank you everyone who attends these meetings every month! 💖
aka luke

« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2023, 06:21:46 pm »
Special nine-eleventy meeting.

The meeting was offset one week because Burning Man distracted us.

Chat community

dlarge used his new moderator powers to ban someone for the first time. rachel asked for a debrief.  the co-moderator standard abandoned their post because "someone paid us a thousand dollars to leave wetfish."

rachel pruned the inactive accounts from matrix, but there are still inactive idlers on IRC.  some suggested to just hang up on everyone, see who reconnects.  rachel points out many people have software that auto- reconnects.  "One dude I slept with twelve years ago and they're still idling here, haven't said anything in _years_." kate: "we don't want to ban people, we want them to engage with the community a bit to prove they want to be here." someone: "what about, like, a text captcha when they rejoin?"  kate: "that will take a lot of work, building and testing."
proposal: use eevee's "seen" database to track idlers (talk to goos)

commie would like it if people hung out in mumble more often to keep them company while they're at work.

Burning Man

rachel and anomaly went to Black Rock City.  saw three diff people wearing wetfish merch from last year.  rachel hosted a solar-powered LAN party, a Starcraft tournament (commie was so mad jelly they started swearing when they heard this).

Swifty and Saxton helped rachel build a food truck w/ a solar-powered kitchen for the campsite.  She's looking into doing food truckery for real, with permits and stuff, not just LARPing in the desert. burritos and stuff, easier for "Food Not Bombs" work without being an unwashed anarchist.

Nature conservancy

Rachel met with "One Canopy" a reforestation nursery, getting trees to plant up in the mountains.  One Canopy needs volunteers like five people to work in the greenhouse.

She's looking for custom-printed lawn bags to gather leaves.  Alibaba sells them for minimum of 5,000 bags in one order, so maybe not this year. Luke offered to manage a GoFundMe for the purchase.

Business operations

Matrix host physically moved to a new datacentre which caused an outage for 12 hours, surprise! yikes.  Thankfully this was only one basket for our wetfish eggs.

New wetfish website w/ svelte framework is coming along, maybe launch before next month.  kate asked "why svelte?"  rachel "it's new, I want to learn, and it compiles to a static site instead of chewing server or client cpu on rendering"

Last month meleeman got paid a bounty for riding the captcha. emergence has her pastebin ready for another bounty, just needs to be dockerized; Mozai asked to sit-in on that to dockerize anime night

Luke: are we gonna get rid of 'coral' [our in-game currency] because capitalism is kinda offensive."  rachel brought up that the bounty
system for incentives is even more of that, should we disassemble that first?  commie framed it as attraction vs incentives.

Final notes

Tomorrow is Taco Bell Taco Tuesday, y'all.  commie is getting better about tacos, deep-frying the tortilla, they're like better chalupas.

« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2023, 09:18:15 am »
an easy hack for irc idlers would be moving #wetfish to #wetfish2,  then everyone idling there sees nothing. Change the topic of #wetfish to "we moved to #wetfish2 for technical reasons, come join us!"

standard getting paid $1000 to leave is hilarious, if that's not open market dynamics, i don't know what is.

whenever i join mumble, don't usually want to be bothered, if they even talk at all.

if there were a web client that made it *super* easy to get on with no downloaded client, more people would probably join, especially for anime night, etc

if you really want a voice chat community, commie, you have to build it, with movie nights, game nights, etc. it's work!
m'lady