POLL: Have you ever used Windows 98?

• 9 Replies
POLL: Have you ever used Windows 98?
« on: February 22, 2022, 10:13:42 am »

Re: POLL: Have you ever used Windows 98?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 03:08:53 pm »
>6/6 fond memories

Turns out we're mostly nearing or in our 30s, so we all had formative experiences on 98. I remember Netscape Navigator, and LEGO Racers, and Star Trek: Starfleet Command, and Tiberian Sun, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. I remember going downstairs to Dad's server to dial out to the Internet, Mom's Red Hat Linux desktop with Gnome that lived next to it, the turbo button on my own desktop (which sadly wasn't hooked up to anything). Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glittering in the dark near Tannhauser Gate. All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
signatures

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 09:45:38 am »
Which game are you playing first?

*spork*

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 10:48:11 am »

I didn't play many of the popular games of that time. Played a lot of Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force (basically Quake III: Team Arena with Star Trek assets), Star Trek: Armada, LEGO Rock Raiders, but also Roller Coaster Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon. Lots of single-player stuff, my parents never let us on anything M-rated or multiplayer and we had shitty satellite internet. Many years later I did go back and Play Deus Ex and Half-Life though.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 02:37:14 pm »
>6/6 fond memories

Turns out we're mostly nearing or in our 30s, so we all had formative experiences on 98. I remember Netscape Navigator, and LEGO Racers, and Star Trek: Starfleet Command, and Tiberian Sun, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. I remember going downstairs to Dad's server to dial out to the Internet, Mom's Red Hat Linux desktop with Gnome that lived next to it, the turbo button on my own desktop (which sadly wasn't hooked up to anything). Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glittering in the dark near Tannhauser Gate. All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

I enjoyed reading this paragraph. You have a way with words.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 02:38:09 pm »

Ehm on second thought let me masturbate first.   :3

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 08:57:41 pm »
LEGO Racers

fuck yeah I loved those games
no don't

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 09:07:14 pm »
Windows 95 was the first operating system I'd used.  My dad was upset  I was spending too much time at my moms on the computers my older cousin had bought so he got a packard bell he'd stare over my shoulder and monitor my usage on, and then hit with a hammer when it froze or locked up.   It didn't last very long what with all the regular beatings.   Then eventually we got windows 98 computers and I got into playing Ultima Online.

The family had AOL, so I used AOL.   I'll never forget the sounds of AOL starting up or various windows startup/shut down sounds.  I will always get a brief shiver of nostaliga and my childhood and the memories of making all these random friends online and in games that were way more interesting to talk to or "hangout" with than the paste eating bunglefucks I was in school with. 

There was something really great about XP and napster, too.  The early flash animation era of things even before newgrounds was on everyones radar.      I still wonder about some of those people I gamed with or would stay up late talking with on aol/aim ended up doing with their lives, or how many of the "girls" were actually horny pedos.   

Anyway, it was a good period of time.   It still gives me tummy-tingles to look back on.  I wish computers and the internet had continued on that path for me, sentimentally anyway.   RIP yahoo messenger/aim/msn/icq (even if any of these are still around, they're fuckin trash at this point)

There was just always something really exciting about booting up the computer and logging into Ultima and running around on horses in this pixely shitty world and talking with people, trading, pvping.   I feel like people put a lot more effort into their articulation and acted much more considerately back then compared to the pool of LOL's and Emojis trying to have conversations with folks online these days always ends up turning into
carpetdime

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 02:22:54 pm »
I didn't play many of the popular games of that time. Played a lot of Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force (basically Quake III: Team Arena with Star Trek assets), Star Trek: Armada, LEGO Rock Raiders, but also Roller Coaster Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon. Lots of single-player stuff, my parents never let us on anything M-rated or multiplayer and we had shitty satellite internet. Many years later I did go back and Play Deus Ex and Half-Life though.
Oh, God, I think I still have my Elite Force disks somewhere (and the expansion, and Elite Force II). If I can find it, we should totally spin up XP VMs and do multiplayer. I just wish I had the hard drive where I'd downloaded hundreds of third-party maps for it.
signatures

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 02:27:17 pm »
What about Windows 69?
aka luke