Hey Aquarium Nerds, halp

• 3 Replies
Hey Aquarium Nerds, halp
« on: April 14, 2022, 05:04:04 pm »
Hey folks! I'm trying to make something here for a non aquarium related use and after scouring the internet for a while I'm seeing that people who maintain aquariums already use some off the shelf assembled devices to achieve a means to some of those ends! So I'm wondering if anyone can give me some suggested products to purchase for this use case?

I have a  large container of distilled water with small quantities of hydrogen peroxide that is set up with 5 disk fogger floats to create fog for THE ULTIMATE VAPE, as well as and more importantly the proper conditions for all of my Shitake and Lions Mane mushroom spawn bricks.   However at 1.50 a gallon the price of distilled water quickly adds up, so I'm trying to keep the topped off water reserves cleaner longer to have less equipment disassembly and sterilization. 

Rather than running UV safe plastic tubing through cathodes  chamber of the appropriate spectrum and shopping through alibaba and cross referencing scientific papers,  I saw your lovely hobby already has small water pump/UV/Filtration media combination units that prevent the water from accumulating gross crap while organisms are living and thriving within it, so I get the feeling this is the perfect type of thing to toss in a 10 gallon bucket of distilled water to keep it more pure throughout the week. 

I need to keep the water reservoir a little warmer to encourage the mushrooms to really fruit and this seems like a great way to counter-balance any contaminant hospitable variables I'm going to be introducing.   

I was also thinking a small air stone/bar of sorts and a small air pump,but I'm not sure how high pressure of a pump is needed for water of that depth.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I'd love to find something small and bang this out for under a hundo if possible.
carpetdime

Re: Hey Aquarium Nerds, halp
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 05:19:59 pm »
what you say is true, there is UV water filters for aqarium crap, but aqarium shit is sooooooooo expensive i have a hard time imagining that would be the cheapest route (aquarium product)
Also they make the same shit for pools, but same thing, pool shit is sooooooo expensive.
RO systems are cheap though.  Not if you're doing a shit ton of water though.

Honestly you could just buy like a 20$ uv sterilizing bulb that will burn your eyes out from alibaba, cut a whole into the top of your reservoir and throw that shit in there.

for air stone like a 40$ air pump will be more than enough for like any amount of water.  I have a 40$ air pump with 2 outlets in a 55g tank and it doesn't even provide enough resistance for the air pump to work fully.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 05:27:50 pm »
what you say is true, there is UV water filters for aqarium crap, but aqarium shit is sooooooooo expensive i have a hard time imagining that would be the cheapest route (aquarium product)
Also they make the same shit for pools, but same thing, pool shit is sooooooo expensive.
RO systems are cheap though.  Not if you're doing a shit ton of water though.

Honestly you could just buy like a 20$ uv sterilizing bulb that will burn your eyes out from alibaba, cut a whole into the top of your reservoir and throw that shit in there.

for air stone like a 40$ air pump will be more than enough for like any amount of water.  I have a 40$ air pump with 2 outlets in a 55g tank and it doesn't even provide enough resistance for the air pump to work fully.

i considered 20$ shitty alibaba but finding a water reservoir of the quality i need thats also going to have UV resistance is going to take me above 55$ just for the bucket (which is what I'm already looking at for the 10 gallon barrel)

So the idea of spending 20-80$ on an all inclusive small scale pump with the UV cathode built in seems like it would save me costs in higher end water reservoirs or tubing and headache.  I was reading that some of the UV filters have to be exposed to the water for way longer than the few seconds it would travel through a spiraled tube, so I guess the idea is just repeated cycles?   I'm not quite crystal clear on that part yet.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 05:34:10 pm by tawd »
carpetdime

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 11:20:04 am »
buy bucket that isn't UV proof and replace once a year