Microsoft Surface Appreciation Thread

• 2 Replies
Microsoft Surface Appreciation Thread
« on: April 17, 2022, 08:59:44 am »

This is the perfect device for anything that doesn't require a Linux workstation to do.

Just don't get the Pro X. It doesn't have a headphone port. And for some reason, the UI latency is more noticeable I think. Not sure what it is but something about the GUI experience feels off.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 09:09:32 am by nicefish »

Re: Microsoft Surface Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 09:41:15 am »
I went through four of these things with work.  Their proprietary magnetic charging cable seems like a good idea until the repeated flexing of it causes the cable to fail (and it gets yanked out easily, though that might be a pro in some contexts).  The biggest problem is Windows itself, and their Surface drivers and whatever other magic is sewn into this, because when it starts to fall over it falls hard.  Software glitches and errors in dealing with the typecover or docked accessories or just switching orientation slowly made the day to day experience unusable.  I like the idea of this device but after years of use I have little but contempt for it.  They are also fragile as fuck, inside and out.  Short drop = cracked screen, and one of mine failed internally for unknown reasons, just didn't want to wake up one day.

Re: Microsoft Surface Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 12:07:33 pm »
Yeah my surface was great (I got a surface pro 3 back in like 2014) up until the point where Windows stopped being able to recognize that there was a battery in the thing.

It would charge, and be able to work without being plugged in, but the operating system had no idea what percentage the battery was at and would never give me an estimate of how long it would be before the device would die

Sometimes it would die in 2 minutes, other times it would die in 2 hours
*spork*