Hiring Experts for Wetfish

• 3 Replies
Hiring Experts for Wetfish
« on: July 01, 2023, 01:43:31 am »
I've been thinking about ways to improve the Wetfish Community for a while and the recent changes to the Reddit API have been a catalyst that really showed what people miss from the old internet: being able to search for information that is from other human beings instead of an endless sea of spam blogs.

To combat this continued erosion of the internet I would like to hire a few people in different industries to hang out in Wetfish and provide people with answers and help.

Examples could include:
  • A mechanic for #carfish
  • Chef to post recipes in #fishfood
  • Therapist to help people in #feelings
  • A doctor for a medical channel?
  • An economist and historian to hang out in #politics and call out bullshit rhetoric

What do you think? Would you find it useful to have professionals you could ask questions? How much should someone be compensated for hanging out on IRC & the forums? Do you know any professionals who could help improve our community?
*spork*

Re: Hiring Experts for Wetfish
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 01:56:26 am »
I love the sentiment behind it but the idea of you having to spend money just so people can skip the long winded story about someones grandparents cottage in the beginning of a recipe or to teach people how to use a youtube.. i don't know.. has google really gotten that horrible for basic things?

The mechanic thing  sounds interesting but not enough people hanging out on wetfish working on cars and most the stuff i run into is a youtube video away the majority of the time its hands on troubleshooting or low-tech secrets for testing things that gets tricky, either way just not currently enough demand for it to benefit the community.

You'd fuckin bankrupt yourself with whatever a therapist is gonna charge you to do anything useful around here but my god what a caring person you are.

Its a good idea in theory but it seems like it would probably be an expensive cost for you for what isn't going to be that incredible of an interaction FOR or with anyone that doesn't actively probably want to be in the community one would think.  I don't know maybe im just being a negative bitch.
carpetdime

standard

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 08:30:37 am »
In the throes of the pandemic, I had made a bunch of money from betting on death. So I decided to pay two people to sit in on a Twitter group chat and correct us on economics.

Structurally speaking it's pretty simple: you give them $1000 or whatever to sit in and answer questions whenever they want, talk whenever they want. And then when they feel like their retainer's been burned through, they message you and say "I'm done!".

standard

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 08:34:43 am »
I would say that we got a lot of value out of the two people we hired. Generally speaking, after the first few hours it didn't feel like work. The only times we really seemed to burn through their retainers were when other people dropped slurs in the chat.