1 year with qeeg

• 22 Replies
1 year with qeeg
« on: December 07, 2023, 01:25:12 am »
Well, we did it y'all, we've officially spent a year with qeeg. Did you enjoy it? Should we keep them around? They are kind of annoying
*spork*

Re: 1 year with qeeg
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 01:28:15 am »
I voted "Who?" because I thought it would be funny

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 01:28:46 am »
About a year ago I made this thread on the forums asking if people felt that qeeg was disruptive.

https://wetfishonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=3822.0

The unanimous decision was that qeeg should lurk more and get to know wetfish culture.

Well, it's been a year now. Has the lurking worked?
*spork*

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 04:03:27 pm »
Do they even have an autistic super power?  Who brought them here? I thought someone who kicked them out of a community then  sent them here as a plight on ours intentionally as part of some sick and twisted joke.

They aren't the worst despicable vile creature to have ever walked the salt flats or something but they are extremely opinionated and matter -of- factly for someone who hasn't done/attempted to do anything. 

On one hand its nice having another member of the community around to pump the numbers and maybe drop a good shitpost here and there (have they? i don't know), on the other they don't seem to have anything of great substance or value to contribute from a life or technology point, they aren't really amusing or quick witted, nor do they seem to be bringing anything artistic or interesting to the table for brain food.    They're passionate about political discourse but theres a whole youtube comments section to reee into the void about.

From some kind of bleeding heart sympathy love for my fellow person thing it sucks to outcast people and leave them lonely sort of thing yeah part of me says don't ban them.

The other part of me says the place will have and has had many cases of -maybe it will get better- -maybe  it can be fixed- sorta people and it never really seems to go that well The only difference being qeeg isn't currently  anything to consider -dangerous- in my brief not really thorough assessment.

I sort of look at communities as what folks would contribute in a post apocalypse/zombie out break scenario based on their skills/attitude/proven record of anythings in life or friendships and qeeg just strikes me as the kind of person who fucks everyone over conspiring with the enemy then gets tangled up in barbed wire running away through the woods and gets eaten by zombies anyway.

I am not the most likable person nor do I have the most vital of things to always contribute to anything, I do however know to shut the fuck up -when the adults are talking- and when is most certainly not the time and place.

Hes kind of like Eugene from the walking dead except even suckier and less skilled and probably wouldn't deliver after a ton of betrayal or something.

I don't want to seem cruel and callous I just don't know how the community is going to get more members that want to stick around that have desirable traits when the place often seems like a mix of active adults doing adult things who are tech oriented, a few super nerds doing things for companies we wont out them over with really big brains able to do really cool stuff, some people struggling but maintaining and just fun to interact with, and then entirely unhinged fixer-uppers.

I get the whole keeping unhinged fixer-uppers who show promise and aptitude.  They remind people to keep a fire lit under their asses and continue to do the needful, the people who aren't sucking remind the people who are sucking that they can keep trying and pushing to do the needful and getting better at doing the needful. And I really hate to even make some sort of caste/class system/hierarchy anything on wetfish. That itself seems pretty silly/not the spirit of things/stupid. 

Maybe some day qeeg won't suck but as it stands I don't see them being the highlight of anyones anything that isn't looking for easy troll-bait and they seem to annoy people way more than anyone enjoys them. I don't see an engagement with qeeg making anyone I know think "wow I'd better go back to that place/bookmark that network/website"

Is there some really cool technical programming side of them that people enjoy I'm unaware of I'm sure they use linux or something?   

To try to surmise /TLDR I would ask "To what benefit of the community is keeping qeeg"

RACHEL TIPPED 1000 CORAL FOR THIS POST

carpetdime

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 04:31:22 pm »
Maybe some day qeeg won't suck but as it stands I don't see them being the highlight of anyones anything that isn't looking for easy troll-bait and they seem to annoy people way more than anyone enjoys them. I don't see an engagement with qeeg making anyone I know think "wow I'd better go back to that place/bookmark that network/website"

Is there some really cool technical programming side of them that people enjoy I'm unaware of I'm sure they use linux or something?   

To try to surmise /TLDR I would ask "To what benefit of the community is keeping qeeg"

Thank you for the well thought out reply. This definitely captures a lot of my feelings on the situation
*spork*

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 10:38:59 pm »
I voted Its been a great time.  Qeeg is a real character.  Counter to what gris said a little, they actually have a unique and high skill tech skillset.

While i disagree with them on a lot of things, i don't think they're very disruptive, and the ways in which they ARE sometimes disruptive is mostly entertaining.

I think qeeg blends into the tapestry well.

Our rules work good, and we haven't even had to mod qeeg too much as far as i'm aware.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 12:01:08 am »
I was asking what their unique skill set is, can you clarify?

I figured it was something based on the way they felt the need to interrupt the town hall meeting to correct rachel on her mentioning of google chrome twice in naming off various internet browsers so to even have the level of knowledge to make that statement based on the core architecture of browsers I figured they must know something.
carpetdime

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 08:27:00 am »

I figured it was something based on the way they felt the need to interrupt the town hall meeting to correct rachel on her mentioning of google chrome twice in naming off various internet browsers so to even have the level of knowledge to make that statement based on the core architecture of browsers I figured they must know something.
I develop emulators for fun lol. Also my pronouns are she/her.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 12:26:50 am »

Cool, did I offend you by repeatedly saying they/them or something?
carpetdime

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 05:58:30 am »
I sort of look at communities as what folks would contribute in a post apocalypse/zombie out break scenario based on their skills/attitude/proven record of anythings in life or friendships and qeeg just strikes me as the kind of person who fucks everyone over conspiring with the enemy then gets tangled up in barbed wire running away through the woods and gets eaten by zombies anyway.

really thoughtful post.

i guess the real question is: is the standard for wetfish just "anyone who's not actively horrible" or is it "people who are actually great". personally i don't contribute anything to wetfish beyond shitposts.. but is that all wetfish is, shitposts? i don't know!

the real standard of wetfish is "does rachel like them" as she tries to breed a cult of personality around herself. please weigh in rachel - do you like qeeg?

i think over the last year they've become less obnoxious and more of a known quantity. like qeeg is definitely going to weigh in with the worst opinion unironically, and that heads off anyone from doing the "worst possible take as a bit" (which is a pretty tired bit!)

so, i've grown to appreciate qeegs utility.
m'lady

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 11:40:55 am »

Cool, did I offend you by repeatedly saying they/them or something?
No, you offended me because the original version of your first post said he/him

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 12:18:29 pm »
the real standard of wetfish is "does rachel like them" as she tries to breed a cult of personality around herself. please weigh in rachel - do you like qeeg?

I've weighed in on this many times. I think qeeg is annoying and should be banned. However wetfish is not a cult of personality, it is a democratic community with specific rules, guidelines, and moderators. Until there is community support for the removal of qeeg no action will be taken.

There is a recurring pattern of NEETs being the worst / most annoying users. Examples include:

- Rossthefox
- Standard
- Qeeg
- Neptun

Basically the problem with NEETs is that they have nothing better to do all day besides sit around on the internet arguing about pedantic bullshit. Because they rarely go outside and interact with other human beings, their opinions are often simplistic, reductive, and lack grounding in real life experience.

Perhaps the problem is not with Qeeg in particular, but NEETs as a whole?

We were discussing this on IRC last week. A potential solution to the NEET problem in general would be to enforce that all users must be actively involved in maintaining some kind of project.
*spork*

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2023, 12:20:14 pm »
I already maintain a project, that project being PCBox.

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2023, 12:25:04 pm »
I already maintain a project, that project being PCBox.

You said yourself you haven't actually worked on it in months if not years and basically all you do is pull changes from upstream.

You also said this inability to focus or work on projects is due to you being "burned out" from your parents telling you to do basic chores like taking out the trash when you were a teenager (you are now 25)
*spork*

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2023, 12:30:59 pm »
The chores aren't the reason I'm burned out, I was originally burned out because of high school giving me WAY too much work at once ALL THE TIME, which not only goes against the IEP I had had since literally fucking elementary school, but also caused me to drop out when I was 17, and I've been TRYING to recover from that burnout ever since. My parents expecting me to do chores regularly is just the reason I CAN'T recover.