BEES!

• 33 Replies
BEES!
« on: July 15, 2017, 05:47:11 am »
The other day emilypi was talking about bees, specifically BUMBLERS

Bumble bee hives are quite different from honey bee hives, they are generally much smaller and less organized. They make these big spheres that connect to each other instead of a hexagonal pattern. They do make honey, but apparently it has a very different consistency and it tastes a bit different too.

Most bumble bee hives are pretty small, 20 - 150 bees...

But occasionally they get pretty big!

*spork*

Re: BEES!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 07:48:08 pm »
I've been a big fan of bee-raising for a couple years now. I think it probably originated from watching Cody's Lab's videos on youtube, as he has some hives in various different locations. I've watched quite a few videos since then in all sorts of different secnarios, but they're all various breeds of your typical honey bee. I had no idea wood carver bees produced honey if in large hives, or maybe wood carvers are actually different from what you're called bumble bees. I'll have to do some research when I'm not drunk and ready to fall asleep, but at least typing this message out might server as a reminder if I come browse this tomorrow.

IONICWAKE TIPPED 100 CORAL FOR THIS POST

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:03:49 pm »
I've been a big fan of bee-raising for a couple years now. I think it probably originated from watching Cody's Lab's videos on youtube, as he has some hives in various different locations. I've watched quite a few videos since then in all sorts of different secnarios, but they're all various breeds of your typical honey bee. I had no idea wood carver bees produced honey if in large hives, or maybe wood carvers are actually different from what you're called bumble bees. I'll have to do some research when I'm not drunk and ready to fall asleep, but at least typing this message out might server as a reminder if I come browse this tomorrow.

You're talking about carpenter bees. And yeah they're different from bumbles. There's like 600 different species of bee
Shit Ass

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 12:18:28 am »
There are so many bees in the wall that the outlet is leaking honey

https://twitter.com/TheScaryNature/status/900178065136828416
*spork*

redheron

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 11:29:35 am »

bee's don't get enough love.
did you know the honey bee colony model is actually really weird for bees?

seriously considering building one of those bee hotels in my backyard. hmmmmmmmm
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:38:01 am by redheron »

redheron

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 11:39:33 am »
You're talking about carpenter bees. And yeah they're different from bumbles. There's like 600 different species of bee
There are nearly 20,000 known species of bees in seven recognized biological families. Way more than just 600 :3

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 12:03:45 am »
*spork*

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 12:04:11 am »
The hive at Fish House is dead. Lot of mites, and wasps. Devnill thinks the hive was weak from mites in the fall and then wasps raided over the winter. We did a hive inspection today and took all the frames out, there were a bunch of dead wasps inside the hive and one was even still alive. @_@

To be safe, we decided to harvest all the honey in case there was some sort of bee pathogen that killed the hive.

*spork*

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 10:00:59 pm »
*NOM*
IM NAKED

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 05:43:16 am »
Shame on all of you for not posting this gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The username I really wanted was Wetfish Forum Comment Commentator
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
aka luke

redheron

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 09:07:35 am »

RIP rachel's bees ; 3; you will live on in my heart

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 11:56:15 am »
It's official, I'm a beekeeper now. We picked up two nucs yesterday and devnill had me install them while he watched and told me what to do. I wore the bee suit and used the hive tool to pry the frames out of the nucs and loaded them into the brood boxes.

We had to pick the bees up from this beekeeper who lives about 30 minutes away, so some of the bees escaped into the car while we were driving?that was fun. When we got home, some of the bees were confused and didn't know where to find the hive, so they swarmed around devnill's car instead. There's this yellow registration tag on his license plate and they REALLY liked that. Imagine dozens of bees covering up a little sticker on a license plate, and nowhere else. It was weird!

*spork*

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 02:46:36 pm »
It's official, I'm a beekeeper now. We picked up two nucs yesterday and devnill had me install them while he watched and told me what to do. I wore the bee suit and used the hive tool to pry the frames out of the nucs and loaded them into the brood boxes.

We had to pick the bees up from this beekeeper who lives about 30 minutes away, so some of the bees escaped into the car while we were driving?that was fun. When we got home, some of the bees were confused and didn't know where to find the hive, so they swarmed around devnill's car instead. There's this yellow registration tag on his license plate and they REALLY liked that. Imagine dozens of bees covering up a little sticker on a license plate, and nowhere else. It was weird!

Well done!
IM NAKED

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 09:44:11 pm »
It's easy to make bees sleepy. You can even use cold water

*spork*

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 11:51:50 am »
no don't