Robots are pretty cool

• 67 Replies
Re: Robots are pretty cool
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 04:04:35 am »
man i fuckin wish we'd move to a post scarcity CULTURE, and we already have the TECHNOLOGY to do so, but as long as there are greedy assholes, we won't have this.

The greedy asshole factor has been a problem since the beginning of history and depending on who you talk to, since the dawn of humankind.  But maybe it begins when life began and greedy assholes aren't a product of poor moral choices, but of evolution.  That said, I believe that a percentage of human beings will always be assholes and that the real technological challenge is how do we deal with them.
aka luke

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 06:53:21 pm »
man i fuckin wish we'd move to a post scarcity CULTURE, and we already have the TECHNOLOGY to do so, but as long as there are greedy assholes, we won't have this.

The greedy asshole factor has been a problem since the beginning of history and depending on who you talk to, since the dawn of humankind.  But maybe it begins when life began and greedy assholes aren't a product of poor moral choices, but of evolution.  That said, I believe that a percentage of human beings will always be assholes and that the real technological challenge is how do we deal with them.

If we had the technology to grow our own food, collect water, and provide shelter for everybody on the planet sustainably and in abundance, why does it matter if there are greedy assholes?
*spork*

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 10:54:28 pm »

If we had the technology to grow our own food, collect water, and provide shelter for everybody on the planet sustainably and in abundance, why does it matter if there are greedy assholes?

Well, I think we've had all that for hundreds if not thousands of years.  But assholes, driven by the anomalous moral dynamics of their aberrant biology leverage the surplus towards their own ends, to the detriment to everyone else. 

In fact, there are perfectly non-asshole scenarios where a minority can gain economic leverage over the majority (I can do some research on the matter if anyone wants, I'm just not awake enough to give the argument a fair hearing).

Though, to be fair, you've suggested some technological solutions (AI/blockchain/etc) where the surplus could be managed to prevent conflict and domination.
aka luke

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 01:28:10 pm »
Incoming: Floating factory bots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCON4zfMzjU

*spork*

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 04:44:47 pm »
shit i just watched all of that it owns
m'lady

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 06:28:44 pm »
These robots taught themselves how to cheat

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vRPiprOaC3HsCf5Tuum8bRfzYUiKLRqJmbOoC-32JorNdfyTiRRsR7Ea5eWtvsWzuxo8bjOxCG84dAg/pubhtml?fbclid=IwAR0-At10G6saRwYQvcx7Nrejh0BMQAWsjwItmTYcZx--vy0UyPtDmQRnlSw

A robotic arm trained to slide a block to a target position on a table achieves the goal by moving the table itself.

Agent pauses the game indefinitely to avoid losing

Genetic algorithms for image classification evolves timing attack to infer image labels based on hard drive storage location
*spork*

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2018, 12:43:28 am »
So reinforcement learning and generic algorithms come up with all kind of wonderful bullshit like this and comes up with hilariously novel garbage.

NASA evolved some antenna once...

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 07:54:14 pm »
*spork*

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 02:23:48 pm »
What's next?  Flesh eating robots?  You got it!
https://www.wearethemighty.com/robots-that-eat-people?utm_campaign=Evergreen&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=Gear-Tech&utm_content=robots-that-eat-people

Hey this was my idea from like 12 years ago. Wetfish needs to start generating more revenue before our competition gets an edge...
*spork*

Classic wetfish video
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 01:46:49 am »
*spork*

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2019, 08:59:58 pm »
*spork*

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 04:40:48 pm »
*spork*

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 06:53:09 am »
aka luke

this is the coolest thing i read today
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2019, 08:15:40 pm »
These robots taught themselves how to cheat

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vRPiprOaC3HsCf5Tuum8bRfzYUiKLRqJmbOoC-32JorNdfyTiRRsR7Ea5eWtvsWzuxo8bjOxCG84dAg/pubhtml?fbclid=IwAR0-At10G6saRwYQvcx7Nrejh0BMQAWsjwItmTYcZx--vy0UyPtDmQRnlSw

A robotic arm trained to slide a block to a target position on a table achieves the goal by moving the table itself.

Agent pauses the game indefinitely to avoid losing

Genetic algorithms for image classification evolves timing attack to infer image labels based on hard drive storage location

thank you for your posting
m'lady