Robots are pretty cool

• 67 Replies
Re: Robots are pretty cool
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2020, 05:46:27 pm »
Einride, the Swedish autonomous trucking startup, unveiled a new vehicle type that the company hopes to have on the road delivering freight starting in 2021. The vehicles, dubbed Autonomous Electric Transport (AET), came in four different variations. And much like Einrideā€™s previous prototypes, they come without steering wheels, pedals, windshields, and, in general, no cab at all.

those would be fine if they had a big ass remote to drive it with, as long as the truck can get itself to docks & loading bays and the workers can manually steer it the last few thousand feet.

maybe the docks need to be retrofitted with giant QR codes

i think even if you LIDAR mapped every dock, a machine wouldn't be able to navigate most of them. not even accounting for loads/trailers getting left in the middle of spaces that are usually empty, there's just a ton of maneuvering that's done with implicit communication, flashed headlights, eye contact. sometimes even if the dock were completely empty and the driverless truck were the only one there, it still wouldn't be able to navigate it. a lot of docks are really weird.

now for standardized big box stores where the loading dock is almost exactly the same in each one -- maybe? but they still stash a lot of pallets outside.
m'lady

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2020, 03:59:07 pm »
This guy made an autonomous solar powered rover with an arduino and 3d printed gears that drives around in a field uninterupted for weeks at a time

After driving in a figure 8 shape in a field for a month or two the gears ended up getting clogged with grass residue and he had to disassemble it. Upon disassembly he found mycelium growing in the crushed grass between the gears.

Life... uh... finds a way
*spork*

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2020, 04:24:38 pm »
i like your videos and summaries that save me having to actually watch them
m'lady

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2020, 04:37:40 pm »
i like your videos and summaries that save me having to actually watch them

It's important to include descriptions with content posted in general discussion, otherwise these threads would just get filled up with low effort shitposts!
*spork*

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2020, 05:08:32 pm »
Lmao, he pulls it out of the field at the end, after it drove autonomously in a field from March until December and says "I feel like I just euthanized my dog"
*spork*

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2021, 04:39:15 pm »
This guy made a little boat that sails across the whole lake! It used the magic power of REDUNDANCY and made it all the way home even though one of the motors was disconnected.

*spork*

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2021, 01:28:06 am »
No more warehouse jobs for humans!

*spork*

standard

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2022, 06:32:46 pm »