Robots are pretty cool

• 67 Replies
Robots are pretty cool
« on: August 16, 2017, 12:14:15 am »
I like robots, automation has provided humans with abundance for generations. In the future, I think it'll be important that individuals have access to automation, otherwise it could just become another tool for the rich to enslave the poor.

Anyway, this video is pretty cool, it's a robot that picks apples... BY SUCKING THEM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS0coCmXiYU

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:15:46 am by rachel »
*spork*

Re: Robots are pretty cool
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 08:34:31 pm »
Why do you believe it is important for individuals to have access to automation?

My access to an assembly line in Detroit doesn't inhibit my ability to buy a car, and the robots that built the car (sorry Detroit workers) cost alot more than the car itself
Shit Ass

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 12:19:28 pm »
Why do you believe it is important for individuals to have access to automation?

My access to an assembly line in Detroit doesn't inhibit my ability to buy a car, and the robots that built the car (sorry Detroit workers) cost alot more than the car itself

As automation continues to replace human labor, it will inevitably reach a point where most jobs will be done by robots with humans left nothing to do. The poor could starve, abandoned by the machines which only provide abundance for their corporate creators. Or maybe a totalitarian government could offer the paradise provided by automation in exchange for conformity. By imagining a future where individuals and communities can provide for themselves through automation, we ensure that abundance can reach everyone.

In other news, robots are pretty cool.

*spork*

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 09:30:50 am »

I found this quote from an article about Brain-Machine Interfaces, but I think the idea behind it could easily be applied to automation as well.

If we have to have magic wands on Earth, Elon thinks, let?s at least make sure they?re in the hands of a large number of people across the world?not one all-powerful sorcerer. Or as he puts it:

Essentially, if everyone?s from planet Krypton, that?s great. But if only one of them is Superman and Superman also has the personality of Hitler, then we?ve got a problem.

More broadly, a single pioneer?s magic wand would likely have been built to serve that inventor?s own needs and purposes. But by turning the future magic wand industry into a collective effort, a wide variety of needs and purposes will have a wand made for them, making it more likely that the capabilities of the world?s aggregate mass of magic wands will overarchingly represent the needs of the masses.

You know, like democracy.
*spork*

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 07:07:25 pm »

I found this quote from an article about Brain-Machine Interfaces, but I think the idea behind it could easily be applied to automation as well.

If we have to have magic wands on Earth, Elon thinks, let?s at least make sure they?re in the hands of a large number of people across the world?not one all-powerful sorcerer. Or as he puts it:

Essentially, if everyone?s from planet Krypton, that?s great. But if only one of them is Superman and Superman also has the personality of Hitler, then we?ve got a problem.

More broadly, a single pioneer?s magic wand would likely have been built to serve that inventor?s own needs and purposes. But by turning the future magic wand industry into a collective effort, a wide variety of needs and purposes will have a wand made for them, making it more likely that the capabilities of the world?s aggregate mass of magic wands will overarchingly represent the needs of the masses.

You know, like democracy.

Everyone already has their own magic wand in their pocket. It's called a smartphone. They contain access to nearly every bit of knowledge mankind has ever recorded, but we mostly use them to send dick pics or look at funny pictures or whatever.

If everyone had their own android servant, they would be more likely to try to fuck it than they would to have it farm apples in their backyard.
Shit Ass

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 09:01:25 pm »
okay so technology provides LEVERAGE

the best example of this is war technology: now a spindly shitty nerd can buy a GUN and kill 30 people. Technology!!

Technology doesn't solve social problems. The scale of the problems just gets magnified. Remember the USSR's "planned economy" and how terribly that went? That shit was cutting edge at the time.
m'lady

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 04:37:00 pm »
This guy at DEFCON was annoyed by his neighbor's kid flying a drone around his house... so he came up with some creative ways to disable with the drone while it was flying. Forcing it to land, returning it to home, etc.

Apparently it's even running an FTP server. ...A flying FTP server...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CzURm7OpAA

*spork*

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 10:06:41 pm »
"The astounding athletic power of quadcopters"

This guy balances poles and glasses of water ontop of quadcopters, and then chops a few blades off and the copter is still able to fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2itwFJCgFQ

*spork*

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 11:31:52 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgkM5g_Ob-w

"How abundance will change the world"

*spork*

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 07:34:38 pm »
man i fuckin wish we'd move to a post scarcity CULTURE, and we already have the TECHNOLOGY to do so, but as long as there are greedy assholes, we won't have this.
m'lady

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 06:08:23 pm »
when the nerd rapture happens, and the robot barbarians are at the gate, will you have the audacity to come to them for help?

DIABOLIZER TIPPED 9 CORAL FOR THIS POST

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 09:14:03 am »
I've always wanted a robot to scan everything in a grocery store and tell me where to go. I hate walking around aimlessly looking for things.

*spork*

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 12:33:53 pm »
man i fuckin wish we'd move to a post scarcity CULTURE, and we already have the TECHNOLOGY to do so, but as long as there are greedy assholes, we won't have this.

we could be a post scarcity civ right fucking now.
IM NAKED

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 10:15:39 pm »

let's do it :)
*spork*

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 12:25:01 pm »

let's do it :)

im with you but how?
IM NAKED