Is this racist?

• 18 Replies
Re: Is this racist?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 03:04:59 am »
It seems as though the way that people use the word "racism" has shifted over the past 5 years or so.  It used to be that racism was a synonym of bigotry or prejudice.  This is the definition that I grew up with and that I use in everyday speech (I don't find myself discussing racism everyday, but, well you know what I mean).  Now when (certain) people say racist, they tend to mean exploiting a system of racial inequality.  Something like that. 

I don't know why this change came about, but I realized that you could exploit peoples without caring about what races were involved one way or another, so it makes a certain amount of sense.

So next time someone says that you can't be racist against white people, say, "well maybe so, but what you're is doing racial bigotry which makes you just as bad."  Then invite them to eat shit and choke on it.

RACHEL TIPPED 10 CORAL FOR THIS POST

IONICWAKE TIPPED 100 CORAL FOR THIS POST

aka luke

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 01:26:42 pm »
*spork*

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 04:23:10 pm »
Are the terms "blacklist" and "whitelist" racist?

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 01:59:27 pm »
It seems as though the way that people use the word "racism" has shifted over the past 5 years or so.  It used to be that racism was a synonym of bigotry or prejudice.  This is the definition that I grew up with and that I use in everyday speech (I don't find myself discussing racism everyday, but, well you know what I mean).  Now when (certain) people say racist, they tend to mean exploiting a system of racial inequality.  Something like that.

It comes from academia, specifically prejudice plus power. Academia is also the only explanation I have for this definition suddenly becoming really popular among certain people lately, but I really don't know for sure. All I know is if you go into a conversation where people are using the "prejudice" definition of racism and start using this new definition, you're basically looking for a fight.
no don't