Data visualizations

• 3 Replies
Data visualizations
« on: March 01, 2018, 01:01:45 am »
Post your favorite data visualizations here!

A cool thing about writing data visualization software is when you have a bug, it turns into art:

CHRSTPHRR TIPPED 5 CORAL FOR THIS POST

*spork*

Re: Data visualizations
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 06:11:45 am »

ANOMALY TIPPED 25 CORAL FOR THIS POST

RACHEL TIPPED 5 CORAL FOR THIS POST

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 01:40:00 pm »
Not quite a data visualization, but tangentially related:

Wouldn't it be nice to have an Open Sores variation of this available to help vet software?  Are there already projects like this around?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/06/this-bot-hunts-software-bugs-for-the-pentagon/

Late last year, David Haynes, a security engineer at the Internet infrastructure company Cloudflare, found himself gazing at a strange image. “It was pure gibberish,” he says. “A whole bunch of gray and black pixels, made by a machine.” He declined to share the image, saying it would be a security risk.

Haynes’ caution was understandable. The image was created by a tool called Mayhem that probes software to find unknown security flaws, made by a startup spun out of Carnegie Mellon University called ForAllSecure. Haynes had been testing it on Cloudflare software that resizes images to speed up websites and fed it several sample photos. Mayhem mutated them into glitchy, cursed images that crashed the photo-processing software by triggering an unnoticed bug, a weakness that could have caused headaches for customers paying Cloudflare to keep their websites running smoothly.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 03:01:38 am »
As a side note, I got the chance to play around with Tableau.  As a visualization software, I was pretty impressed with everything it could does.  It's supposed best feature is to be able to predict the best way to visualize your data, though I hadn't played around with this feature.  It's free period is only 14 days though.
aka luke