*spork*

lemonrising

Re: algae thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 02:40:39 pm »
Algae for president 2020

h

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 02:04:17 am »
Dude thats nothing. I was swimming with sharks during my summer break, and he bit my leg off, my friend was like, dude that must hurt and I was laughing and shit. Then he took another bite and got my left hand clean off, my friend was like dude you're left handed, this is terrible, I just kept laughing harder because I'm so strong. The blood was spraying now, and really starting to attract a lot more sharks, my mate is like, hey I see like 10 more fins coming towards you, get out of the water! I laughed and laughed, then I was pulled under and my friend could still hear me laughing until they got my neck and it became muffled gurgles underwater. Classic sharks, easily the funniest day of the summer, almost as good as the time I went hunting for wolverines.

USER WAS BANNED FROM THIS TOPIC
Reason: Please do not spam unrelated copypasta, this has nothing to do with algae

dudeweed😂

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 11:46:41 pm »
I just found this awesome site with tons of information on growing spirulina!

http://spirulinaacademy.com/grow-your-own-spirulina/

It covers all of the following topics:
- Light requirements
- Temperature requirements
- Agitation
- The growing medium

... and more!!!
*spork*

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:00:03 am »
*spork*

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 10:30:26 pm »
spirals confirmed!!

devnill got me a microscope and now I can see my own spirulina growing :DD

it's like that

it's super fancy!! it even has knobs to adjust the position of the plate... it's awesome!!
*spork*

redheron

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 08:06:42 am »
thats really cool, the microscope thing

I've always sort of wanted one, to look at random stuff with, but I feel like I wouldn't take care of it properly..

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 12:22:20 pm »
thats really cool, the microscope thing

I've always sort of wanted one, to look at random stuff with, but I feel like I wouldn't take care of it properly..

I'm thinking about doing a youtube video looking at the water in my fish tank. There's probably all sorts of stuff in there! It's a pretty powerful scope, you can clearly see red blood cells and bacteria with it. We got some prepared slides from the science store with lots of different things to look at. It's capable of zooming to roughly the limit of what can be seen with an optical microscope, the only way to get higher resolution would be to get an electron microscope.
*spork*

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 12:28:23 pm »
Found this really cool site that lets you zoom in to compare the sizes of things: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/cells/scale/
*spork*

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 03:27:04 pm »
Update: It took a while but the algae is finally blooming! The whole tank is turning dark green and it's looking a lot like those tanks in the first post

We're not using a heater or anything so that's probably why it took so long for the algae to get established. Initially it was just a patchy layer on the bottom of the tank but all of a sudden it got really thick!
*spork*

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 01:30:32 am »
It's so dark. There's so much algae. Send help

At first I was like "oh no there's just a couple little clumps of algae I hope it grows" and now I'm like "WTF AM I GONNA DO WITH ALL THIS ALGAE"
*spork*

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 12:16:50 am »
Not quite algae but still related

*spork*