Adventures in Greed (Megacorps vs Everyday people)

• 144 Replies
Re: Adventures in Greed (Megacorps vs Everyday people)
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2021, 11:52:28 am »
peeing in water bottles is pretty common for delivery drivers. ask around. yes, it sucks.

Ultimately, what defines advertising is payment and control.

hot take: facebook, google, and youtube are all ADVERTISERS. That's how they make their money.

it should be illegal to advertise to children.

I agree it should be illegal to advertise to children, but honestly children are the #1 source of revenue for a lot of companies. Kids see ads on Nickelodeon & Cartoon Network and then beg their parents for whatever dumb product they saw on TV. Then parents say "okay I will buy it for you" because they love their children and want them to stop crying about dumb shit.

It's pretty insidious how companies exploit parental love for their own gain.

Oh and don't forget mobile apps. Kids will play stupid mobile apps and every few minutes they will see an ad for another game.
*spork*

Ozmiander

« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2021, 05:05:02 pm »
Amazon will fire anyone who doesn't deliver enough packages in a day, so delivery drivers have to resort to peeing in bottles to not get fired.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7amyn/amazon-denies-workers-pee-in-bottles-here-are-the-pee-bottles

"Paying workers $15 per hr doesn't make you a 'progressive workplace' when you union-bust & make workers urinate in water bottles."

"We're pressured to get these routes done before night time and having to find a restroom would mean driving an extra 10 minutes off path to find one," an Amazon delivery driver told Motherboard. "Ten to fifteen minutes to find a bathroom can add up, meaning 20 to 30 minutes there and back all together."

"Obviously we drink a lot of water throughout the day so this is happening a lot through the drive," they continued. "I can tell you that if I drove to find a restroom that I would be bringing back packages every night and that would eventually mean I would get infractions, which would lead to termination.

This is not uncommon in all kinds of trade/labor industries.  I'm honestly sick of people seeing Amazon doing shit and acting like it's some new horrific thing.

HERE CUMS THE FUCK TRUCK TIPPED 22 CORAL FOR THIS POST

« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2021, 06:14:46 pm »
Amazon will fire anyone who doesn't deliver enough packages in a day, so delivery drivers have to resort to peeing in bottles to not get fired.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7amyn/amazon-denies-workers-pee-in-bottles-here-are-the-pee-bottles

"Paying workers $15 per hr doesn't make you a 'progressive workplace' when you union-bust & make workers urinate in water bottles."

"We're pressured to get these routes done before night time and having to find a restroom would mean driving an extra 10 minutes off path to find one," an Amazon delivery driver told Motherboard. "Ten to fifteen minutes to find a bathroom can add up, meaning 20 to 30 minutes there and back all together."

"Obviously we drink a lot of water throughout the day so this is happening a lot through the drive," they continued. "I can tell you that if I drove to find a restroom that I would be bringing back packages every night and that would eventually mean I would get infractions, which would lead to termination.

This is not uncommon in all kinds of trade/labor industries.  I'm honestly sick of people seeing Amazon doing shit and acting like it's some new horrific thing.

i think its because amazon has a knack for tapping labor pools that have never encountered blue collar work before - retired people, young people in college, moms returning to the workforce - these things are new to them.

i talked to a warehouse man with 15 years of experience who told me amazon warehouses are the best run, safest warehouses he's ever seen. that's not a high bar - most warehouses are deathtraps. 110f in a warehouse isn't weird at all.
m'lady

« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2021, 09:04:20 pm »
I think the difference between Amazon and most other warehousing companies is the fact that Amazon is one of the largest corporations in the world. They can afford to treat their employees better. Also, consumers are buying directly from these Amazon warehouses instead of buying from companies that use unknown 3rd parties for managing their warehouses.
*spork*

Ozmiander

« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2021, 09:10:22 pm »
I think the difference between Amazon and most other warehousing companies is the fact that Amazon is one of the largest corporations in the world. They can afford to treat their employees better. Also, consumers are buying directly from these Amazon warehouses instead of buying from companies that use unknown 3rd parties for managing their warehouses.

As opposed to the warehouses of other gigantic companies like Walmart, Home Depot, Target, etc?

« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2021, 10:31:20 am »

As opposed to the warehouses of other gigantic companies like Walmart, Home Depot, Target, etc?

You are welcome to post articles or personal experiences about any of those megacorps. I'd be happy to throw all of them under a bus.
*spork*

« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2021, 12:45:17 pm »
In the 1920s all of the light bulb manufacturers got together and agreed to reduce the lifespan of their bulbs in order to increase sales.

*spork*

« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2021, 09:37:25 am »
An interactive website which represents dollars as pixels. Every $1000 is one pixel. It shows how much money the average American earns in a year, the cost of health care, the cost of providing housing to every homeless veteran, all compared to the vast wealth of billionaires.

https://mkorostoff.github.io/1-pixel-wealth/

*spork*

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2021, 03:25:57 pm »
People who advocate for "right to repair" have a simple demand: access to schematics. Without those, they can't do their job repairing computers and phones for people. Small repair shops have to download leaked copies of pdfs from random Russian and Chinese hacking sites in order to do their job. It's like buying weed in places where it's illegal - you have to know a guy, who knows a guy.

Wouldn't it be simpler if these repair companies could just pay Apple and Google for access to their schematics instead?

*spork*

« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2021, 04:07:48 pm »

« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2021, 12:55:09 pm »
If you release open source hardware, software, or designs make sure to file patents :)

*spork*

woodneko

« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2021, 01:10:34 am »
If you release open source hardware, software, or designs make sure to file patents :)

I gotta be honest, it seems like the company did a ton of their own legwork at bringing a product to market. Not to mention it seems like the original concept behind the puzzle wasn't even the guy's own idea to begin with. If you make an open-source design you gotta be prepared for people to use and build on it. It really sounds like he's complaining about nothing and the company is well within their rights. The only potential protection he would have is copyright and there was no obvious violation of his copyright.

Of course it's silly for the company to say that there's little to no resemblance between the designs, but from a legal perspective that's a very sensible response to make. If they say there is significant similarity between the designs then that can be construed as an admission of guilt towards whatever claim this guy is making. Being within their right to produce and sell the puzzle, there's no reason to open the door to what should otherwise be a non-issue.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 01:18:19 am by woodneko »

« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2021, 12:12:59 pm »
so, i saw a news article announcing Sonic (the fast food company) announcing new products.
they heard the customer's complaints about the 'ice cream' being fake, and they now are going to have REAL ice cream.

I tried googling it, and although not confirmed, I'm pretty sure they just made a different fake ice cream called 'Real ice cream'.
For instance on the menu it says 'Real ice cream' not 'ice cream'. 
and in all the press releases real is capitalized

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210503005502/en/

TAWD TIPPED FOR THIS POST

« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2021, 06:19:38 am »
and in all the press releases "real" is capitalized

When I was in high school there was a rumour that McDonald's had a meat-packing subsidiary called "100% Real", so they could say they used "100% Real beef" in their burgers.

Your mention of capitalized adjectives reminded me of this bit I read in wikipedia last week:

On June 3, 2008, COM2US Corporation was awarded the trademark for the term "Tower Defense", filed on June 13, 2007 – serial number 3442002. The corporation is reported to have started enforcing the trademark: in early 2010, developers of games on Apple's App Store reported receiving messages requiring name changes for their games, citing trademark violation. Adding the phrase "Tower Defense" (in capital letters) to the description of an app submission to iTunesConnect and the app store automatically triggers a warning that the submission is likely to be rejected for use of the term; however, writing the phrase in lower case is still acceptable as "tower defense" is a valid description of a game style

« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2021, 09:41:12 pm »
AvE says that ultimately the tragic deaths of 14 people on a mountain gondola were caused by corporate mismanagement. They instructed a technician to disable the safety brakes on a gondola because they kept triggering, instead of spending the time (and money) to actually fix them.

*spork*