Should political conversations be considered "off topic" in #wetfish?

• 10 Replies
Please vote and explain why or why not.
*spork*

Re: Should political conversations be considered "off topic" in #wetfish?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 01:13:19 am »
It seems like every day since mid-2016 there has been non-stop arguing in #wetfish over political drama. Antifa, alt-right, Trump, Kavanaugh. Sure, it's not all the time, but it is A LOT of the time.

I feel like these conversations don't really go anywhere and only serve to polarize the community.

I voted yes on this poll because I'd much rather #wetfish be a place for talking about working on personal projects, hacking into wireless vibrators, and advancements in science.

The ideal situation in my mind wold be for all political discussion / arguments to be kept in #freefish so #wetfish can just be a place to talk about nerd shit.

How are we ever going to have our own space program if we waste all of our time arguing about if pepe is racist or not?
*spork*

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 01:18:29 am »
I vote yes, too. Politics seem to dominate the channel and every time I look at it, somebody has just posted some based and redpilled antifa btfo video and that has become the only topic of discussion. It's just not the Wetfish I know and love. It reminds me more of an average off-topic /pol/bait thread on /v/.

h

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 01:20:05 am »
I voted no because politics is funny as fuck
some people on the internet
are ARGUING about some dumb shit nobody cares about
and you can jump in and pick a side and argue away
dudeweed😂

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 01:24:35 am »
I tend to agree. I've seen people spend an hour or more dominating the channel with politics, and I don't think it's particularly entertaining. Moreover, everyone in such discussions is fairly set in their views; nobody's changing anybody's minds and nobody's particularly open to having their minds changed. I'm not going to tell people they can't bring it up, but if it becomes more than a passing thing in the context of a larger conversation I think it's reasonable to suggest that they continue the discussion in #freefish.

h: Sure, but you can just as easily troll people with ridiculous political views in another channel.
signatures

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 01:24:50 am »
I voted no because politics is funny as fuck
some people on the internet
are ARGUING about some dumb shit nobody cares about
and you can jump in and pick a side and argue away

The thing is, #wetfish isn't supposed to be for arguing. It was made an unofficial rule months ago that all arguing was only supposed to happen in #freefish. By your logic, if the purpose of political discussions is to argue, then it's already off topic in #wetfish.
*spork*

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 01:44:19 am »
I voted yes, I just really hate arguing to be honest. Which is what politics inevitably leads to, Lets keep Wetfish a chill place. Can't we all just talk about cocks instead?

RACHEL TIPPED 20 CORAL FOR THIS POST

FROBTHEBUILDER TIPPED 20 CORAL FOR THIS POST

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 11:26:39 am »
politics is boring as shit, but so is nerd stuff

that said, at least nerd shit doesn't tend to devolve into ape-like chest thumping over who is the most WOKE, which is both boring AND obnoxious

RACHEL TIPPED 50 CORAL FOR THIS POST

woodneko

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 11:50:37 am »
As much as people like to talk about politics, no one wants to hear anyone else talk about politics. I personally don't want to hear anyone's opinions,
especially if they're in line with my own; 2boring4me.

It would probably be even more effective to just have a political chat bot that just replies 'uh-huh' to whatever you DM it.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 01:08:19 pm »
Talking about politics is fine IMO; by that I mean good-faith discussing real things that are happening.  As soon as an opinion about which group or ideology is "better" pops up it almost instantly turns into a shitshow because everyone takes criticisms of their pet ideology as a personal attack and most of the time nobody even knows what the fuck they're talking about.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 11:05:52 pm by snek-sensei »

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 09:01:43 pm »
Apparently I'm not around enough because it feels like #wetfish doesn't have very much political talk

.'/)

RACHEL TIPPED 10 CORAL FOR THIS POST

honk honk