New board for technical discussion

• 4 Replies
New board for technical discussion
« on: November 19, 2018, 10:42:32 pm »
Now that we have a wetfish channel for development, I think it would be a cool/good idea to have a matching board for technical discussions.
aka luke

Re: New board for technical discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 02:32:11 pm »
Now that we have a wetfish channel for development, I think it would be a cool/good idea to have a matching board for technical discussions.

To be fair, #dryfish has been the "wetfish development channel" for years. The new channel you're referring to is only for contractors / employees of wetfish. Generally new boards on the forums are created via meiosis from existing threads on other boards that meet the new board's criteria. It's boring to make a new forum with no posts in it!

Can you find any examples of technical discussion on the forums that could be moved into a new board?
*spork*

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 10:00:18 pm »

To be fair, #dryfish has been the "wetfish development channel" for years. The new channel you're referring to is only for contractors / employees of wetfish. Generally new boards on the forums are created via meiosis from existing threads on other boards that meet the new board's criteria. It's boring to make a new forum with no posts in it!

Can you find any examples of technical discussion on the forums that could be moved into a new board?

Whether there is a need for a tech support board is definitely an important question.  I guess I figured that "if you build it they will cum."  The web is certainly already overstuffed if tech support, both good and bad, so the argument for another one is certainly questionable.

I often find it easier to appeal for technical support from people I know, as they are familiar with how I think and do things and are not going to do a bunch of nerd chest thumping.  Though there is also the problem that all our IT interests are pretty diverse, so it may be hard to get expert/experienced advice on our specific niche interest (like how to edit the driver start values in the offline registry hive in WinPE so you can get your god damn Windows 7 install to boot up).

RACHEL TIPPED 100 CORAL FOR THIS POST

aka luke

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 11:50:04 pm »
A technical discussion board will be a nice place for polls, such as emacs vs vi, tabs vs spaces.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 11:32:23 am »
IRC channels only allow topics to be visible for about a day before being buried in scrollback. Having a board dedicated to technical discussion would allow the topics to be visible for several weeks or more, letting more people see more stuff which they might find useful.

I can think of several threads which I would probably use:
- new/cool/useful techs thread ("Hey guys check out this new car/humanoid/memecoin/socialplatform/programminglanguage/serverstack that can do BaCKflIpS")
- tech-specific threads (web dev thread, system administration thread, biotech thread, crypto thread, etc.)
- tech support threads (Usually one thread per problem)
- project threads ("LOOK AT THIS THING I MADE")
- techno-bs thread (For updates on how whatever you're working with is now illegal, out of service, vulnerable, deprecated, and politically incorrect, and how to maybe deal with said bs. NOT for personal political opinions.)

Threads which could be moved from (the first three pages of) the General Discussion board:
- Permaculture, a permanent sustainable culture (40 replies)
- Robots are pretty cool (21 replies)
- Need help ; how to convince family member idk how to do bitcoins (30 replies)
- GitHub is down (8 replies - This could've been part of the "techno-bs" thread I suggested.)
- 3D Printing (2 replies)
- CO2 readings in and around Fish House (39 replies)
- Idea: A cloud-like storage infrastructure for physical items (3 replies)
- How did project wonderful work? (0 replies)
- Learning math made easy (1 reply - This could've been part of the "new techs" thread I suggested.)

At the moment, I don't think we have enough technical discussion to have a technical board which is as active as the General or Shitposts board, but creating a technical discussion board might give the more technical side of Wetfish a good reason to use WFO more often.

CHRSTPHRR TIPPED 100 CORAL FOR THIS POST

RACHEL TIPPED 100 CORAL FOR THIS POST

Why live?