Programming/Hacking/IT Video Games

• 0 Replies
Programming/Hacking/IT Video Games
« on: December 15, 2018, 11:34:54 pm »
There are lots of great games where you have to do programming.  Post your favorites.

else Heart.Break()

In this game, you can program just about any object in the game including people (being able to do this is a minor spoiler, but it's early on, so whatever).  While there is supposed to be a story to it, I've spent most of the time hacking into different places and abusing the API.  The programming interface is clunky and I wish they'd done a better job of pacing what areas you can access, but it is a really cool experience none the less.

Screeps

Screeps is a game I've been trying to get into for a long time, but I have other games to play first.  It does look really cool though and I am really curious about potential mechanics of MMO RPGs, so it's definitely on the list.  It's based in JavaScript, but I doubt it uses things like jQuerry or other derivatives of JavaScript that are more useful for modern day programmers unfortunately.

Duskers

I've only played a little bit of Duskers, but it's supposed to be really good.  It's been fun, but I have so many things to play first!

Hacker Evolution/Hacker Evolution Untold

Hacker Evolution was a neat little puzzle game where you had to figure out how to get into different systems using different utilities.  Unfortunately, the sequel kind of broke one of the main draws of the game, which was to try to find the most efficient solution to each level, so it's not as fun.  There's another sequel on the way, so we'll see how that goes.

SpaceChem

Almost all of Zachtronics games are programming games it looks like (I'm going to have to add some to my wishlist), but SpaceChem is the only one I've played so far.  It's fun, challenging, and has good aesthetics.  A perfect intro to the Zachtronics line.

What are some of your favorites?
aka luke