Videogenic?

• 1 Replies
Videogenic?
« on: March 04, 2017, 02:27:06 pm »
Are you videogenic? I think I am. It's like being photogenic, except for videos.

I've been told quite a few times that I look better in real life than in photos. I always have such a hard time in pictures... posing... smiling... it all feels so forced and awkward I hate it. But for some reason none of that happens in videos at all.

What gives?
*spork*

neptun

Re: Videogenic?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 03:49:39 pm »
Are you videogenic? I think I am. It's like being photogenic, except for videos.

I've been told quite a few times that I look better in real life than in photos. I always have such a hard time in pictures... posing... smiling... it all feels so forced and awkward I hate it. But for some reason none of that happens in videos at all.

What gives?

It's probably because in videos, you aren't usually requested to force yourself to look happy, and because of that, you just act true to yourself instead.

The people who look good in a photo are either really good at faking a smile, or they don't feel the need to force the smile because they're happy enough to smile at the time. In other words, the most photogenic people are either very innocent, reasonably manipulative, or have been trained on how to fake a smile (e.g., models).

In the case of video, there's much less societal pressure to pretend that you're having the BEST TIME EVER ALL THE TIME, and you're allowed to act as you please, allowing your actual personality to show. The most 'videogenic' people, by your terms, are probably the people who show the most confidence in their actions.

This just means that you're content with what you're doing most of the time, but you're unhappy about something whenever someone takes a photo of you, and you don't know how to fake a good smile. And obviously, the 'something' that you're unhappy about is the process of taking a picture.

Try getting someone to take a picture of you (without you knowing) while you're doing something you really care about, and it'll probably show your personality well. Try getting someone to take a picture of you (again, without you knowing) while you're really enjoying something, and you'll probably be left with a picture of you being 'photogenic'.

EDIT: Clarification
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 04:06:36 pm by neptun »