• 9 Replies
How fast can you type?
« on: June 28, 2020, 10:24:25 am »
check out https://www.typingtest.com/ it takes just a minute

here's my results i can do 100wpm
m'lady

Re: How fast can you type?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 12:28:19 pm »
oh cool, last time I did a typing test I got like 100 wpm... I'll have to try this out some time!! (too busy watching youtube videos right now to take a typing test sorry)
*spork*

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 08:33:34 am »
carpetdime

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 09:18:43 am »

that's sick you're soooooooo faaaaaaaast
m'lady

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 09:55:39 am »
dang I'm slow as fuck

*spork*

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 10:11:42 am »
dang I'm slow as fuck

that's still two and a half times faster than average!
m'lady

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 10:23:59 am »
dang I'm slow as fuck

that's still two and a half times faster than average!

imo typing speed is directly related to thinking speed. It's physically impossible for people to type as fast on a phone as they can on a computer which is part of how phone usage is used by the ruling class to make society as a whole more stupid

General purpose computing had severe unintended consequences (p2p file sharing, torrenting, decentralized organization of protests, and open source software) which the ruling class has been trying to cripple for decades by introducing "convenient" corporate replacements like Discord, Spotify, and mobile app stores.

*spork*

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 10:41:17 am »

that's sick you're soooooooo faaaaaaaast

lol.  I'm not that fast. But in high school the librarians used to shout at me thinking i was just abusing the keyboards till they'd watch me type and in more than one lecture hall where i sat front row and just dictated everything the professor said they'd occasionally stare at me and say something silly just to see if I was typing it or playing a game or something.

Idk, i'm using this shitty sticky dell keyboard, I go a lot more zoom zoom when I use a nice one, but I still feel like I could go a lot faster using a dvorak format if i retrained my brain or something .  Too bad I'm a lesser nerd that cant program.
carpetdime

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 10:55:55 am »
dude same i know dvorak is faster but, retraining and being slow for two years? miss me with that shit! also when it comes to keyboards you can generally only get one cool feature at a time: backlighting! ergonomic! custom layout! tho i supposed you could build your own keyboard. anyway i don't even know if you can get dvorak on a laptop, of course you could always remap in software but it's very very useful to be able to see what keys do what.

i still don't remember most punctuation on the number row. multiple tries to do a *&^$

my working memory is garbage.
m'lady

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 11:11:05 am »
imo typing speed is directly related to thinking speed. It's physically impossible for people to type as fast on a phone as they can on a computer which is part of how phone usage is used by the ruling class to make society as a whole more stupid

General purpose computing had severe unintended consequences (p2p file sharing, torrenting, decentralized organization of protests, and open source software) which the ruling class has been trying to cripple for decades by introducing "convenient" corporate replacements like Discord, Spotify, and mobile app stores.

its very difficult to get real, meaningful work done on a phone. because i can't put two things side by side and read off one and type into the other. that alone cripples it.

i'm really glad the video you linked has a transcript, because its 54 minutes long and the first 80% is just doctorow rehashing the same thing he's been saying for 20 years to uproarious applause.

but his final point is probably right. we did get a right to repair law this year, tho. not sure how good it is or if its been proven in court yet.
m'lady