Fake plants

• 9 Replies
Fake plants
« on: February 18, 2021, 09:04:51 pm »
I got a fake plant. A while back I'd have thought it was silly to get a fake plant. Like "why get a fake plant to take up space, why not just no plant?"
But in reality, it makes me feel more grounded.

Re: Fake plants
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 11:33:06 pm »
I'm not a fan of fake plants, but I'm glad that you found something that helps you!

I have a keen eye for noticing fake plants in shopping malls and waiting rooms.

The easiest thing to look for is fucked up leaves. A real plant will almost always have some blemished, dead, or decaying leaves. Fake plants always look perfectly green and lush.

If you get up close, you can normally find evidence of injection molding, like seams on the edges of the plastic leaves.

In a space like a waiting room, you can also make inferences based on the available light. Trees cannot grow without significant amounts of light, so unless there's a big skylight in the room, a tree in an office is almost guaranteed to be fake. Vines like Epipremnum aureum and other generic houseplants like Dracaena trifasciata will do fine in the low light conditions of an office or house.
*spork*

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 03:17:49 pm »
I'm not a fan of fake plants, but I'm glad that you found something that helps you!

I have a keen eye for noticing fake plants in shopping malls and waiting rooms.

The easiest thing to look for is fucked up leaves. A real plant will almost always have some blemished, dead, or decaying leaves. Fake plants always look perfectly green and lush.

If you get up close, you can normally find evidence of injection molding, like seams on the edges of the plastic leaves.

In a space like a waiting room, you can also make inferences based on the available light. Trees cannot grow without significant amounts of light, so unless there's a big skylight in the room, a tree in an office is almost guaranteed to be fake. Vines like Epipremnum aureum and other generic houseplants like Dracaena trifasciata will do fine in the low light conditions of an office or house.

Yes, once my life is more stable I'll get some real plants.

Ozmiander

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 03:30:54 pm »
I need a plant.

woodneko

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 03:35:10 pm »
I need a plant.

i have snake plants coming out my ears if you want one

Ozmiander

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 05:26:02 pm »
I need a plant.

Are they similar to spider plants? Also, so they have any special needs considering they were raised in your nose???

woodneko

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 05:34:19 pm »
I need a plant.

Are they similar to spider plants? Also, so they have any special needs considering they were raised in your nose???

they're basically unkillable i've just had mine stuck in a pot that i water occasionally and it's just been multiplying. good indoor plants, supposedly great for air quality.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 06:17:08 pm »
I need a plant.

they're basically unkillable i've just had mine stuck in a pot that i water occasionally and it's just been multiplying. good indoor plants, supposedly great for air quality.

yes, Dracaena trifasciata are great! I have several of them. They are very hard to kill, you can go for several months without watering them and the leaves will only start wilting and getting wrinkly and squishy. Normally these leaves are very firm and not squishy at all, so it's obvious when they are actually about to die. Even with massive levels of neglect it's one of the easiest houseplants to grow, which is why they are found so commonly in offices and waiting rooms.
*spork*

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 02:20:02 pm »
Basically any kind of succulent is a great, low effort plant. There's also automatic watering planters out there.

I honestly feel like people need some sort of plant life in our lives, it's always felt to me like humans are very evolutionarily attuned to the presence of plants

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/urban-mindfulness/200903/plants-make-you-feel-better
Based on several experimental studies, the presence of potted plants has been found to be helpful in many different settings including work, school, and hospitals. In particular, plants have been shown to:

Lower blood pressure (systolic)
Improve reaction times
Increase attentiveness
Improve attendance (at work and school)
Raise productivity (at work)
Improve well-being
Improve perceptions of the space
Lower levels of anxiety during recovery from surgery
Raise job satisfaction

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 01:28:02 pm »
i would really like a lush wall of plants in my living room, but i'm away from home so much everything dies. so i could use an automated watering system but i'm paranoid about it leaking and being a huge mess.. for a week! so i would need like a drip tray with a float level alarm & shutoff valve & alarm system to email me about my plants dying.. and at that level may as well add a webcam to look at the plants..

i don't really know how to do these things. i guess i could get a raspi together and try but that just sounds exhausting. everything else is easy for me.
m'lady