TINFOIL HAT BLOCKS DAYLIGHT SAVINGS

• 13 Replies
TINFOIL HAT BLOCKS DAYLIGHT SAVINGS
« on: March 14, 2021, 01:15:32 am »
Daylight savings is a CONSPIRACY DESIZGNED TO KILL PEOPLE

https://www.sciencealert.com/daylight-savings-time-change-kills-people

each year, on the Monday after this springtime switch, hospitals report a 24 percent spike in heart attack visits around the country.

USE THE TINFOIL HAT ITEM TO BLOCK THE DESTRUCTIVE TIME WARP ENERGY PRODUCED BY DST

It's on sale today!!

JUST IN TIME
*spork*

Re: TINFOIL HAT BLOCKS DAYLIGHT SAVINGS
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 03:47:07 pm »
The purpose of a clock, to my mind (and feel free to argue this bit, as it's the premise upon which my argument is based) is to provide a description of the position of the Sun in the sky. A sundial, by definition, always tells accurate solar time. Clocks don't quite tell solar time, they tell an approximation based on the assumption that one noon should be exactly 24 hours from the next. In truth, solar noon (defined as the time at which the disk of the Sun is centered on an imaginary line running from North to South through the sky) varies depending on the time of year by up to fifteen or twenty minutes in either direction. So, 24-hour clocks are a compromise, and noon on the local clocktower was traditionally defined to be "average solar noon for the year, from this location." This is a compromise I'm willing to accept for the sake of consistency and recordkeeping.

There is a second compromise made with modern clocks, and that is time zones. Back in the 1800s, the advent of the railroads necessitated the syncing up of distant clocks for the first time, and (after a lot of confusion for a couple of decades) the railways established Railway Standard Time in 1883. In 1884, an international conference in Washington, DC established both the official Prime Meridian and the modern concept of time zones. A time zone, as conceived, is a slice of 1/24 of the globe, and all clocks within that time zone are synced to average solar noon in the geographical center of that time zone. This is a second compromise, as it clearly decouples local clocks from local noon, but it is another compromise I'm willing to accept for the sake of consistency and recordkeeping.

Daylight savings, on the other hand, was introduced in 1918 by an act of Congress called the Standard Time Act, which set the boundaries of the time zones within the United States, and also dictated that we change our clocks to be an hour earlier for eight months of the year. This one is a bridge too far for me, because it 1) makes the local noon not just loosely but completely decoupled from solar noon and 2) offers no advantages in terms of consistency or recordkeeping. Moreover, it flies flatly in the face of the fundamental purpose of a clock, which again is to describe the current position of the Sun. If we want to collectively have different summer and winter hours, that's fine and strikes me as only a moderately-bad idea, but making the clocks wrong is not the way to accomplish this goal. Rather, we should call a spade a spade and tell people that school is 7-2 and work is 8-4 for eight months out of the year, and only 8-3 and 9-5 for the winter months. Further, hopefully this would make the absurdity of the situation clearer to more of the population, and we could settle on having the summer schedule, but right clocks, all the time.

TL;DR FUCK DAYLIGHT SAVINGS WITH A SPIKED METAL ROD HOW COULD THE 1918 CONGRESS BE SO STUPID
P.S. Arizona is the one sane state that doesn't do DST, your state government has the power to just not.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 05:28:29 pm by rothen »
signatures

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 12:06:09 am »
I just did duolingo and after doing a single lesson it said that I had earned over 50 EXP today, which didn't make sense at all until I realized that I had done duolingo yesterday after 11 PM which means they counted the lessons I did yesterday as today thanks to daylight savings

just another example of daylight savings fucking everything up
*spork*

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 08:14:53 pm »
I just did duolingo and after doing a single lesson it said that I had earned over 50 EXP today, which didn't make sense at all until I realized that I had done duolingo yesterday after 11 PM which means they counted the lessons I did yesterday as today thanks to daylight savings

just another example of daylight savings fucking everything up

lol that happened to me too
no don't

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 09:28:34 pm »
carpetdime

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 09:46:36 pm »
*spork*

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 01:40:41 am »
THE FUCKING GOVERNMENT CHANGED THE TIME

THANKS JOE BIDEN

*spork*

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 11:41:58 am »
THE FUCKING GOVERNMENT CHANGED THE TIME
Not true, no government or person has the power to do that. What they did is compel us all to make our clocks incorrect.
signatures

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2022, 10:21:40 pm »
Daylight savings time was first proposed by a dude in New Zealand who wanted more daylight after work so he could collect bugs.  A couple years later, a dude in England proposed Daylight Saving Time because he wanted more time to play golf after work.

The first places that actually implemented Daylight Saving Time was two municipalities in Canada.  (Blame Canada!)  The first nation to implement it was Germany in 1916, as a method to conserve coal during the Great War (WWI).  Other countries involved in WWI adopted it, but when the war was over Germany stopped it -- Canada kept it (Blame Canada!)(Actually so did England, France and America).

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 01:19:54 pm »
oh fuck it's really happening

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Protection_Act
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/69/text

H.R.69 - Sunshine Protection Act of 2021

To make daylight savings time permanent

Passed the Senate on March 15, 2022 by unanimous consent
*spork*

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 06:10:14 am »
According to this helpful tool, I'm better off with always-DST.
But if I lived in Denver, I'd be better off with never-DST.
https://observablehq.com/@awoodruff/daylight-saving-time-gripe-assistant-tool

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 07:33:07 am »

God fucking DAMMIT, they got the solution BACKWARDS. Since they're permanently decoupling the clocks from the Sun, even in principle, I think my rebellion is going to be to start permanently referring to all times in GMT when this goes into effect next year.
signatures

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 11:11:27 am »

God fucking DAMMIT, they got the solution BACKWARDS. Since they're permanently decoupling the clocks from the Sun, even in principle, I think my rebellion is going to be to start permanently referring to all times in GMT when this goes into effect next year.

Personally I like the time being shifted forward by an hour, mornings suck and light later into the evening is based.

Also for the record this bill doesn't mandate that any state do anything, it's just creating the concept of a "permanent daylight savings time" - there already is a concept of a "permanent standard time" but we just don't use it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_time_observation_in_the_United_States
*spork*

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2022, 11:18:15 am »
Holy fuck daylight savings is 100% a scam promoted by the oil industry

Seasonal observation of DST was first enacted in the US during World Wars I and II, as an attempt to conserve fuel. The practice was unpopular and promptly repealed after each war; however, lobbyists from the petroleum industry lobbied to restore DST, as they had noticed it actually increased fuel consumption. Petroleum lobbyists joined with lobbyists from golf and candy corporations in the 1980s to form the National Daylight Saving Time Coalition, and they have twice since succeeded in extending the length of DST's observation from six months to seven in 1986, and again to eight months in 2005.[1][21][24][39][40] The observation of DST has also been found to increase residential energy costs and pollution costs by several million dollars per year.
*spork*