FishMeet 2024

• 24 Replies
FishMeet 2024
« on: March 15, 2022, 02:57:24 pm »
aight it's finally happening.

This is the official discussion thread for the first ever Wetfish Convention, being held in 2024. We're definitely going to rent at least one of these:

What is FishMeet?

FishMeet is an internet culture, anime, sci-fi, & furry convention whose mission is to directly support artists, creators, and small businesses through a revenue sharing program. Think Burning Man art grants meet the halls of an anime & sci-fi convention. Ticket proceeds go towards artists in artist alley instead of artists needing to pay a premium to be there.

What sorts of panels and events would you like to see?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 03:03:36 pm by rachel »
*spork*

standard

Re: FishMeet 2024
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 03:30:16 pm »
First Suggestion: Soylent Dispensary

Second Suggestion: Rich People Pay More
Code: [Select]
<standard> (terry) progressive income tax so you pay more money to enter if your net worth is over $1,000,000
<standard> with that extra money going to GiveDirectly
<rachel> NICE
<rachel> :P
<rachel> I think it should be a choice of different charities like humble bundle
<rachel> and you can choose the percentages for each
<rachel> for example in this case "giving directly" would actually be giving it to the artists and speakers at the event
<standard>

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 11:54:12 pm »
A ball pit suspended in a net

*spork*

standard

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 07:09:21 pm »
cheese table

KAYIMBO TIPPED 777 CORAL FOR THIS POST

HERE CUMS THE FUCK TRUCK TIPPED 1 CORAL FOR THIS POST

HERE CUMS THE FUCK TRUCK TIPPED 11 CORAL FOR THIS POST

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 09:09:59 pm »
Welp it's official. As proposed last night during the first ever Wetfish Corporate Retreat (Rachel's gigasecond) - a date and approximate location has been selected for Fishmeet 2024.

April 8, 2024 — Great North American Eclipse (Total Solar Eclipse)

*spork*

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 02:35:44 pm »
Okay so April 8th 2024 is on a Monday. That means we could celebrate Fishmeet at a convention center in Texas from Friday April 5th until Sunday April 7th. Then on April 8th everyone would drive out into the middle of nowhere (specific location depending on local weather conditions) and watch the totality

I was thinking either Austin or Dallas. Dallas might be the better choice for avoiding clouds because Austin is closer to the coast and therefore gets more rain
*spork*

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 10:51:01 pm »
First Suggestion: Soylent Dispensary

Second Suggestion: Rich People Pay More
Code: [Select]
<standard> (terry) progressive income tax so you pay more money to enter if your net worth is over $1,000,000
<standard> with that extra money going to GiveDirectly
<rachel> NICE
<rachel> I think it should be a choice of different charities like humble bundle
<rachel> and you can choose the percentages for each
<rachel> for example in this case "giving directly" would actually be giving it to the artists and speakers at the event
<standard>

Why wouldn't you just give money in person to the artists and the homeless person? They would already have tip jars if they want tips.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 09:58:47 am »
More chill hang out spot inspiration

*spork*

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 12:19:22 pm »
as the resident rich person I object to charging me more for something I wouldn't do in the first place

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 08:43:31 am »
*spork*

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 09:28:51 am »
A ball pit suspended in a net

can't pee in that one!
use Foon™

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2023, 09:00:48 am »
What the eclipse is gonna look like from space.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2023, 05:26:00 am »
i know programmers and tech people are in love with texas because Austin but its full of road rage and homophobia. i nominate niagra falls
m'lady

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2023, 12:31:48 pm »
i know programmers and tech people are in love with texas because Austin but its full of road rage and homophobia. i nominate niagra falls

Going to Niagara Falls in April sounds like a recipe for lots of clouds. We've chosen Texas because it will be the most likely spot that everyone can congregate along the path of totality with the lowest probability of cloud cover.

For reference, here is a current map of cloud cover in the US.

If there is cloud cover in Texas on the day of the eclipse we would likely be able to drive a few hours into Oklahoma or Arkansas. This would probably not be the case anywhere in the north east which is often completely covered by clouds in spring.
*spork*

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2023, 01:19:46 am »
We have begun looking at commercial event venues in Dallas, TX. There are a couple promising locations so far, going to be making some phone calls next week.

We could either rent out an entire warehouse and potentially be able to invite hundreds of people. Or we could rent out an airbnb for a smaller crowd of 15-30 people.

I'm currently leaning towards getting a warehouse cause it would be badass. But ultimately we'll have to see what we have the budget for
*spork*