Daily posting quota for IRC

• 7 Replies
Daily posting quota for IRC
« on: January 18, 2024, 07:13:27 am »
After reading some problems you have about people being annoying, I have thought of a solution without having to go through the friction of trying to get consensus of whether to ban someone from the community.
Add a feature to ircd to allow restricting a hostmask to a certain number of messages per day.

Re: Daily posting quota for IRC
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 01:01:45 pm »
Pay to unlock more messages!
*spork*

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 01:04:26 pm »
You know kate would get a higher paying job so her bot can have a platinum-star membership.

h

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 01:20:37 pm »
You know kate would get a higher paying job so her bot can have a platinum-star membership.
you're just jealous that my bot is more popular than you

After reading some problems you have about people being annoying, I have thought of a solution without having to go through the friction of trying to get consensus of whether to ban someone from the community.
Add a feature to ircd to allow restricting a hostmask to a certain number of messages per day.
taking this suggestion seriously unlike some people, wouldn't consensus still be required to limit a given hostmask? what does this change about that issue?
dudeweed😂

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 01:35:56 pm »
taking this suggestion seriously unlike some people, wouldn't consensus still be required to limit a given hostmask? what does this change about that issue?
it will be something any operator can do without getting consensus. other operators are free to change/remove the limit without getting consensus as well. thanks for taking my suggestion seriously.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 01:58:43 pm »
why not just delete the IRC and make a discord?  Then nobody has to worry about maintaining bots or being annoyed?
carpetdime

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 10:23:07 am »
why not just delete the IRC and make a discord?  Then nobody has to worry about maintaining bots or being annoyed?

I feel you don't understand the problem, or you're shitposting.

> implying bots don't exist in Discord

> implying strangers who've never met you will do a better job shepherding your living space

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 11:18:11 am »

I feel you don't understand the problem, or you're shitposting.

> implying bots don't exist in Discord

> implying strangers who've never met you will do a better job shepherding your living space

I understand the problem.  People are upset some people chat too much on a chat community.  The best solution to that is getting rid of the chat community so nobody has to be upset about it or just banning people and hoping for other better members. I don't think the solution in trying to keep a dwindling community going (oh cool a number less than 5 people returned after the neet rules were created) is adding limitations.  At that point make a really shitty "We have X (formerly known as twitter) at home" and call it a day.

The bar is so fucking low right now for people around here that its basically "-remember to take your fucking meds so you don't hear them scratching from inside your walls and if you didn't take your meds and you do hear it keep it to your self, have some sort of employment, don't be a racist scumbag, don't be a  homophobic dipshit,  -maybe- have a concept of basic personal hygiene if you're going to interact with members IRL, and lastly...and I can't stress this one enough..don't be rapey.

Its a small community on a platform the majority of people under the age of 40 I've met in this world through tech jobs, gaming, and other assorted nerd communities on other platforms wouldn't even bother with, and if they did it was much larger networks for very niche purposes or piracy. 

If you guys want to turn the vibe into some HOA group, be my guest, you're not going to get any direct opposition out of me, Im just making sure to go on record as saying I don't think thats the best solution to draw members or improve the over all -health- of a community.  I have just about everyone who matters to me from this network on my phone or steam.  The server could get nuked to oblivion tomorrow and I'd still have the same quantity and quality of conversations I have with the users I assign any friendship or value to. 

The younger computer science people I've ran into on various jobsites or gaming communites or people who fancy themselves computer builders and super users don't even know or want to bother with something as out dated as IRC because they can't drop their little edge lord memes and reactions in quickly and shrimply, most the older tech folks just don't care anymore. They have slacks and githubs families and retirement plans to focus on.

Like it or not at this point IRC (as a whole, not just wetfish) doesn't have much of a wide appeal outside of higher level nerds (people concerned with security or liking the control,  a company not having the logs and data)  or people looking for illegal downloads/software / folks rachel pulls in by being an interesting person and or having great tits, a few peoples significant others, sketchy folks  involved in dubious internet activities from the baltics/Russia or  trans people into programming/comp sci.   Even in discord communities totally unrelated to this network that is the general spread of people I've encountered that would even bother with IRC.  Oh and furries. There were a couple turbo autist neet furries from Europe who were interested in how to make an IRC network of their own when I was trying to tell some of the other folks about wetfish and how having an IRC server you control is a lot smarter than giving all your everything to tencent/china/

But to spare anyone from having to read all that or get their butts hurt I just succinctly stated "why not just delete the IRC and make a discord?  Then nobody has to worry about maintaining bots or being annoyed?"  It was in no way a shitpost or sarcasm. It was actually taking into consideration the topic of the thread, that topic being that some people are speaking too much and it annoying others, and then being sensitive to those users desires by being short and to the point.

IRC has a very niche appeal to a very narrow section of people in 2024.  Making it less accessible might have the opposite intended effect.  Trying to make it /market it as being playfully exclusive might be a better tactical move.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 11:32:03 am by tawd »
carpetdime