Guns

• 203 Replies
kill
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 12:23:57 pm »
What's the maximum range on an air / pellet gun? The squirrels like hanging out on power lines to avoid my reign of bismuth. I need a pellet gun sniper rifle lmao

you probably don't need more range because the power lines are like, RIGHT there. you *could* get a better scope, and learn to shoot better. that would help more.

--
i typed all this out before i remembered the power lines aren't far away:

air guns are actually the weapon of choice for professional varmint hunters (they're quiet and you can get multiple shots off without frightening off prey)

there are
pump rifles (you cock it between every shot), these are slow but cheap
CO2 rifles (you drop in little silver cartridges) these are fast but limited in power
pre-charged pneumatics (you fill a built-in reservoir with an air compressor) these are the best of both worlds

i am thinking of buying an PCP rifle
--
also here's a bit on airgun ballistics http://www.crosman.com/get-hunting/airgun-ballistics
m'lady

Re: Guns
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 02:49:47 am »
What's the maximum range on an air / pellet gun? The squirrels like hanging out on power lines to avoid my reign of bismuth. I need a pellet gun sniper rifle lmao

Buy a slingshot or make one. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Sling-Shot

What's the muzzle velociy (erm, stick velocity??) of the average sling shot? Air rifles are generally 500-1000 feet per second
*spork*

Re: kill
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2017, 02:58:11 am »

you probably don't need more range because the power lines are like, RIGHT there. you *could* get a better scope, and learn to shoot better. that would help more.

Well, what they've been doing these days is hanging out on the powerlines a couple houses down. I caught one trying to sneak into my garden and fired a couple rounds but then it ran away onto the powerlines a couple hundred feet away and just watched me.
*spork*

Re: kill
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2017, 05:16:56 am »

Well, what they've been doing these days is hanging out on the powerlines a couple houses down. I caught one trying to sneak into my garden and fired a couple rounds but then it ran away onto the powerlines a couple hundred feet away and just watched me.

well, you kinda tipped your hand. Squirrels are very smart about identifying predators, and understand line of sight and will run up the far side of a tree to avoid getting shot at.

So you can lurk in a blind, where they can't see you (or get into the habit of walking out onto the roof-deck where your greenhouse is and being prepared to pop a cap in a squirrel ass)

or you can actually stalk them down, which is what you're talking about, and get a scope for your rifle, sight it in, and hunt them to the ends of the earth (miiiiiight anger your neighbors)
m'lady

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 09:35:35 pm »
m'lady

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 02:20:01 pm »
copt found this one

http://news.stanford.edu/2017/06/21/violent-crime-increases-right-carry-states/

Examining decades of crime data, Stanford Law Professor John Donohue?s analysis shows that violent crime in RTC states was estimated to be 13 to 15 percent higher ? over a period of 10 years ? than it would have been had the state not adopted the law.

*spork*

All Kalishnikovs Are Beautiful
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 07:40:53 pm »

i'm digging this sweet kalish that my friend just finished and coated. akab!
m'lady

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 02:54:08 am »
i don't trust a person with that  kind of decision making.  I think the only guns should be autonomous guns that make their own decisions to destroy everything.

ideally in the future, it won't be cost effective for people to kill each other, and AI guns only kill each other (if someone else has an AI gun and you don't, no way you can win.  If you both have AI guns, actually targeting people is a waste of money since your only concern is taking out their AI gun then you win.)

DIABOLIZER TIPPED 100 CORAL FOR THIS POST

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 06:39:05 pm »
you must smoke a lotta weed lol
m'lady

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 05:50:46 pm »
*spork*

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 07:42:50 pm »

RACHEL TIPPED 25 CORAL FOR THIS POST

no don't

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2017, 07:59:55 pm »
copt found this one

http://news.stanford.edu/2017/06/21/violent-crime-increases-right-carry-states/

Examining decades of crime data, Stanford Law Professor John Donohue?s analysis shows that violent crime in RTC states was estimated to be 13 to 15 percent higher ? over a period of 10 years ? than it would have been had the state not adopted the law.

My issue with this study is that it compares real world "violent crime" rates per-state with a fictional state. Texas vs. fictional Texas for example.
"Violent Crime" includes much more than crimes involving firearms

Why not compare the right-to-carry states with the states that have restricted firearms? Could it be that that data would show something unfavorable to the narrative?
(edit:) upon re-reading the story, the study apparently uses three states, California (1996 pop: 32 million) Nebraska (1996 pop: 1.7 million) and Wisconsin (1996 pop: 5.2 million) to create the fictional Texas, and compare it to real Texas (1996 pop: 19.3 million)
So Fake Texas would have a population of  38.9 million, vs. Real Texas population of 19.3 million. Seems legit.

The specific dates used could affect the results massively. For example, aggregate "violent crime" in the US peaked in 1991, slowly dropped until 1996 where it then drastically fell until the year 2000 where it remained relatively constant.
Further complicating the issue, in 2013 there existed no states which were "no-issue", meaning you could get a concealed carry license in every state. The only states which would not be included in this study, in 2017, would be California, New York, and a handful of smaller states on the east coast. These states have been "May-Issue" since 1996.

This brings me to another problem, the fact that concealed carry is not actually banned in these states. It may be costly and/or difficult to apply for a license, but if this study concluded in 2017 the synthetic data for the aggregate of all states would be far lower than the real data. All that this study proves is that synthetic predictions for statistics already collected in the real world don't match the real world data (WOWZERS!!)

I'm tempted to actually buy the article so I can really pick it apart (yes its behind a paywall, another issue I have with it)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:09:48 pm by what »
Shit Ass

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 08:05:37 pm »
I'm tempted to actually buy the article so I can really pick it apart (yes its behind a paywall, another issue I have with it)

heya, just grab it on sci-hub, it's a pirate science site with copies of basically every scientific article that gets kept behind paywalls

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sci-Hub
*spork*

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2017, 01:57:19 am »
m'lady

Ozmiander

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2017, 04:11:34 pm »

https://www.amazon.com/Whisper-Fusion-Mach-Rifle-177/dp/B01APG0VFC/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_200_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8X3G5JNT5CZH1WTWGXRK