Rainwater collection

• 2 Replies
Rainwater collection
« on: July 07, 2017, 07:39:43 am »
Hi all, I'm new to the community (well, longtime lurker of wetfish, I've no idea how I originally found the community, but it was before the RO days, somehow through raychjkl).

Does anyone here do rainwater collection?

From reading some of the posts I imagine you guys might like this little read. It's just an update from a project I backed ages ago on kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/622508883/open-building-institute-eco-building-toolkit/posts/1873827

Some day when I get out from living in an apartment I plan on doing it for gardening or whatever else. One thing in particular that caused me to think about posting, is the idea of having a separate collection tube that collects the first N gallons of rainwater that's going to wash all the settled dust and dirt from the rooftops, so that the rest that you collect are just a little bit cleaner. I hadn't seen that before and thought it was pretty neat. Maybe it's a common thing to do, but it was new knowledge to me and thought I'd share. I'm curious if anyone else has some knowledge to part with or some fun experiences!

Re: Rainwater collection
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 08:05:25 am »
Hi all, I'm new to the community (well, longtime lurker of wetfish, I've no idea how I originally found the community, but it was before the RO days, somehow through raychjkl).

Does anyone here do rainwater collection?

From reading some of the posts I imagine you guys might like this little read. It's just an update from a project I backed ages ago on kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/622508883/open-building-institute-eco-building-toolkit/posts/1873827

Some day when I get out from living in an apartment I plan on doing it for gardening or whatever else. One thing in particular that caused me to think about posting, is the idea of having a separate collection tube that collects the first N gallons of rainwater that's going to wash all the settled dust and dirt from the rooftops, so that the rest that you collect are just a little bit cleaner. I hadn't seen that before and thought it was pretty neat. Maybe it's a common thing to do, but it was new knowledge to me and thought I'd share. I'm curious if anyone else has some knowledge to part with or some fun experiences!

I've been considering doing rainwater collection but first I need to figure out a way to incorporate the rainwater that I collect into the existing irrigation system for my garden. Right now all of my  irrigation is done using hose timers and soaker hoses. I really want to replace it eventually with a gravity drip system so I can just pour rain water / grey water / city water into a bucket and have it slowly drip onto my garden.

Rainwater collection was actually illegal in Colorado for a very long time, but they just recently updated the law to allow households to collect up to 110 gallons. http://www.naturalnews.com/054831_rainwater_storage_Colorado_legislation.html

I've heard of the Open Building Institute before (it's a great project!) but I'm pretty sure a rainwater collection pond like that would be illegal here in Colorado.
*spork*

Re: Rainwater collection
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 03:24:38 pm »
yes i do this i use pickel jars because i like pickelse and i need rain for certian plansts i raise thank you
o bb