Robots are pretty cool

• 67 Replies
Re: Robots are pretty cool
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2020, 09:07:11 pm »
Disclaimer: This isn't actually Jordan Peterson saying this, but it was generated with a neural network.

Really good
o bb

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2020, 11:33:08 am »
Wow how did this happen in 2016 and I am just hearing about it now???

A trained military sniper started killing cops, killing 5 and wounding 14.

So they duct taped a bomb to one of their police bomb diffusing robots to kill him in a kamikaze mission. Very dishonorable death. Klingons would not approve

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 11:40:06 am by rachel »
*spork*

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2020, 05:08:54 pm »
Wow how did this happen in 2016 and I am just hearing about it now???

A trained military sniper started killing cops, killing 5 and wounding 14.

So they duct taped a bomb to one of their police bomb diffusing robots to kill him in a kamikaze mission. Very dishonorable death. Klingons would not approve

its unlike the police to actually take direct action against a mass shooter, i guess blue lives really do matter

you guys ever read about chris dorner? can't corner the dorner!
m'lady

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2020, 08:44:58 pm »
This guy is working on his own open source quadrupedal robot, like boston dynamics' "BigDog"

Here's a random one of his videos that shows off the dog's ability to balance and move around on its feet but also talks about some of the hardware and software issues that he is working on fixing:

Here's a playlist of all his progress so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJOV29fq_KY&list=PLpwJoq86vov_PkA0bla0eiUTsCAPi_mZf

H TIPPED 1337 CORAL FOR THIS POST

*spork*

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2020, 11:46:30 pm »
Battle bots are way more intense when they can fight autonomously

The "battle bots" tv show just used glorified RC cars with saws bolted on.

These are real fighting robots

*spork*

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2020, 10:05:31 am »
i love those fights but i don't know what to search to find them

do we have those in the US yet?
m'lady

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2020, 06:56:24 pm »
i love those fights but i don't know what to search to find them

do we have those in the US yet?

"Robot sumo" or "japanese robot competition" are pretty good search phrases
*spork*

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2020, 09:33:29 pm »
How long till we have robots that can fix up your brain cells and clean up your DNA?  Once we are all long dead.  But they are making strides.
https://www.cnet.com/news/scientists-build-army-of-1-million-microrobots-that-can-fit-inside-a-hypodermic-needle/?utm_source=digg
aka luke

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2020, 05:53:56 pm »
Super strong artificial muscles called HASEL actuators can lift between 200 - 1000 times their own weight and are super inexpensive to produce.

https://robotics.sciencemag.org/content/3/14/eaar3276.full
https://www.newsweek.com/soft-robotics-self-healing-actuators-muscles-hasel-771612

Soft robotics are the coolest. I can't wait to see how this combines with developing prosthetic I/O technology

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2020, 05:56:11 pm »
*spork*

idk what the right thread for this is
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2020, 05:45:21 pm »
m'lady

Re: idk what the right thread for this is
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2020, 05:53:32 pm »

Oh hey, youtube suggested this to me earlier today... but I didn't watch it.

Is it good? What does it do? Does the guy not have fingers or something? Does it make his hand stronger?
*spork*

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2020, 07:20:47 am »
Einride, the Swedish autonomous trucking startup, unveiled a new vehicle type that the company hopes to have on the road delivering freight starting in 2021. The vehicles, dubbed Autonomous Electric Transport (AET), came in four different variations. And much like Einride’s previous prototypes, they come without steering wheels, pedals, windshields, and, in general, no cab at all.

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2020, 08:54:38 am »
Einride, the Swedish autonomous trucking startup, unveiled a new vehicle type that the company hopes to have on the road delivering freight starting in 2021. The vehicles, dubbed Autonomous Electric Transport (AET), came in four different variations. And much like Einride’s previous prototypes, they come without steering wheels, pedals, windshields, and, in general, no cab at all.

those would be fine if they had a big ass remote to drive it with, as long as the truck can get itself to docks & loading bays and the workers can manually steer it the last few thousand feet.
m'lady

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2020, 07:31:33 am »

those would be fine if they had a big ass remote to drive it with, as long as the truck can get itself to docks & loading bays and the workers can manually steer it the last few thousand feet.

maybe the docks need to be retrofitted with giant QR codes
*spork*