Adventures in Greed (Megacorps vs Everyday people)

• 157 Replies
Re: Adventures in Greed (Megacorps vs Everyday people)
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2024, 10:21:16 pm »
The history behind how since the 1980s private equity firms have slowly been buying every brand in existence...

*spork*

« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2024, 06:59:53 am »
The history behind how since the 1980s private equity firms have slowly been buying every brand in existence...
[video]

Adblocking on youtube stopped working on this laptop.  I'm sad that I have to sit through 0:47 of ads about how great a private equity firm is before I can start watching the video about how terrible P.E. firms are.

« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2024, 11:35:45 pm »
That time back in 2018 when Trump made a deal with Foxconn to open a factory in Wisconsin to make TVs & computers and shit, creating over 13 thousand jobs in the process. Unfortunately it was all a scam, it's been 6 years and they've only built a couple empty warehouses and they don't even make anything.

*spork*

« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2024, 12:05:41 am »
Clothes have been getting consistently worse over the past 40 years. Also H&M uses muslim slave labor in china.

MOZAI TIPPED FOR THIS POST

*spork*

« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2024, 12:15:08 am »
Tech billionaires are suing small farmers in California because they don't want to sell their land. The billionaires want to make a libertarian tech utopia and promise to make "affordable housing" (starting at $400k)

*spork*

« Reply #155 on: September 27, 2024, 12:03:42 am »
All the megacorps (Google, Apple, Disney, Nike) are owned by the same asset holding companies (BlackRock, Vanguard, etc.) through a system called "Universal Ownership" where holding companies will buy 5-10% of the shares of every company on the market, giving them voting rights on the board. It doesn't matter if one of the companies on the market does better or worse, all the profits get funneled into asset holding companies. This creates a situation where none of the megacorps have to compete with each other to lower prices. It's a meta-monopoly

*spork*

« Reply #156 on: October 01, 2024, 01:38:32 pm »
https://futurism.com/neoscope/paralyzed-man-exoskeleton-too-old

"After 371,091 steps my exoskeleton is being retired after 10 years of unbelievable physical therapy," Michael Straight posted on Facebook earlier this month. "The reasons why it has stopped is a pathetic excuse for a bad company to try and make more money."

According to Straight, the issue was caused by a piece of wiring that had come loose from the battery that powered a wristwatch used to control the exoskeleton. This would cost peanuts for Lifeward to fix up, but it refused to service anything more than five years old, Straight said.

"I find it very hard to believe after paying nearly $100,000 for the machine and training that a $20 battery for the watch is the reason I can't walk anymore?"

*spork*

« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2024, 05:34:15 pm »
That is a disturbing story, I hope that other companies do not adopt a similar mindset when it comes to people reliant on their tech for basic needs.
MrPedalMan