Permaculture, a permanent sustainable culture

• 107 Replies
Re: Permaculture, a permanent sustainable culture
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2024, 01:46:40 am »
A window in direct sunlight absorbs approximately 1 kilowatt of energy onto the surfaces inside of the room. That's like running a space heater

Or you could just put an awning on the outside of your window to block the high summer sun?

MOZAI TIPPED 256 CORAL FOR THIS POST

*spork*

« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2024, 05:37:45 am »
A window in direct sunlight absorbs approximately 1 kilowatt of energy onto the surfaces inside of the room. That's like running a space heater … Or you could just put an awning on the outside of your window to block the high summer sun?

OMG yes.  We gave up on them because it was an easy way to cut expenses; we gave up on so much colloquial architecture because it was an easy way to cut expenses.  I have to run an A/C unit in my apartment not just because of the higher frequency of heat-waves (nights where temperature doesn't go below 68°F) but because the building's been refitted so many times to cut out useful bits.

I don't have awnings but I do have blackout curtains on my west-facing windows that are white on the outside to reflect more light  instead of heating up the curtains.

« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2024, 12:41:36 am »
Permaculture is the opposite of disposable culture. We live in a world where products are made as cheaply and quickly as possible, made of and wrapped in plastic. It's the responsibility of consumers to deal with all the waste. Permaculture is an attempt to address issues like this at the root cause; by taking a systems approach to thinking about the way we live, the things we produce, and the way we treat the planet we live on.

Instead we have unregulated monopoly corporations using the planet as a giant toxic waste dump and tiny startups trying to help everyone feel better by cleaning up the mess.

*spork*