Burning Man discussion thread

• 56 Replies
Re: Burning Man bought a geyser
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2019, 06:41:43 pm »
It is our pleasure to inform you that Captain Pump's Raiders has been officially placed for Burning Man 2019: Metamorphoses! Your camp has been placed as a Theme Camp.

Your approximate location is 6:00 & Echo and will measure approximately 50 feet + by 100 feet. If your dimensions contain a + or - sign, it means your camp is an odd shape. 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1MMZUHCSwUzAebBSDI_FEPCREd4QPyI00&ll=40.7785804271405%2C-119.21647320051318&z=17
*spork*

Spotted in Reno
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2019, 08:01:48 pm »

RACHEL TIPPED 100 CORAL FOR THIS POST

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2019, 11:50:21 pm »
It wasn’t easy. The playa was an endless expanse of literally nothing but dust. No water, no plants, no life of any kind. A totally inhospitable landscape. And they discovered that brought people much closer together. The event today is brutal by design. Larry says:

“You’re not going to create community unless you struggle with other people […] Because only when you struggle with people, for survival, do you see their soul. One of the reasons we grew is that we took people out in the desert and we made them face survival together. And that took a whole lot of nonsense out of it.”

Edit: Source - https://medium.com/@daniel.ed.morrison/an-anthropological-history-of-burning-man-c3b163fb4c0e
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 11:58:19 pm by rachel »
*spork*

Burning Man (flaming pegasus edition)
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2019, 12:09:26 am »
*spork*

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2019, 11:49:15 pm »
*spork*

Re: Burning Man discussion thread
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2020, 04:20:06 pm »
Burning Man is changing their placement policy, requiring theme camps to be interactive. This essentially forces all of the plug n play camps for rich people to stop acting like gated communities. Boom. Suck a dick rich people. Now you have to hang out with the peasants if you want good placement & guaranteed tickets.

Until now, standing status was the only criteria for DGS allocation, with theme camps and villages in “good standing” receiving an allocation of tickets, and those not in good standing having their allocations reduced or withheld.

For 2020, we have added camp interactivity level as another DGS allocation criterion. This will reward camps and villages that have satisfied or exceeded Placement’s criteria of interactivity, and will also encourage camps and villages to bring high-quality interactivity to Black Rock City.

https://email.burningman.org/t/ViewEmail/t/148947CDFF05CC2B2540EF23F30FEDED/DA4E308D61A44FC5C9C291422E3DE149
*spork*

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2020, 04:48:31 pm »
this owns. i really like that email.
m'lady

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2020, 03:04:32 pm »
Hey check out this map of burning man, complete with the position of the sun throughout the day and average wind direction across the city (they really think this shit through)

*spork*

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2020, 03:10:30 pm »
damn, nerds planning ahead really turns me on
m'lady

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2020, 03:15:03 pm »
damn, nerds planning ahead really turns me on

ikr??? the infrastructure of burning man is my favorite aspect. The party is just a thing to do on the side
*spork*

Burning Man 2020: Cancelled
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2020, 08:41:40 pm »
https://journal.burningman.org/2020/04/news/official-announcements/brc-2020-update/

No Burning Man this year because of the coronavirus... so they are doing a burn in VR???

A virtual Black Rock City? What does that look like?

In this Multiverse, Black Rock City will be online, and everyone will be welcome to join in. On a virtual playa, there’s no limit to who can participate. Like That Thing in The Desert, we will have costs and will need to create some kind of “ticket.” We’re working out those details and will share them as soon as we can. It won’t be like the BRC we’ve built over the years; we know there’s no substitute for an in-person experience. It will be a new kind of Burn. We want to co-create BRC online with 100,000 participants to share our passions, explore fun new ways to live more sustainably, connect in these challenging times, and take care of one another. We know the community has vast potential to meet the challenges of the world. Let’s do it together. If you want to collaborate, let us know here!

https://burningman.typeform.com/to/aJQ7y9

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:35:46 pm by rachel »
*spork*

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2020, 08:45:50 pm »
I haven't even bought any of my festival tickets for this summer. I'm assuming they're all cancelled. Maybe they'll be able to go on by the end of the summer, but until we've achieved herd immunity one way or another, I'm assuming there are no festies/burns for the foreseeable future.
signatures

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2020, 09:53:19 pm »
While it seems that Burning Man is a niche event, the impact that Burning Man has had on all of our lives is incredible. So many incredible companies have been born out of the creativity of this event.

I have watched tiny art projects turn into big theme camps turn into small businesses and turn into large corporations in the 15 years I’ve been involved in this community.
Burning Man is like a cauldron. It’s like a womb. It’s a cocoon. It’s the place where magic goes to be loved, nurtured, and not judged so that it can be reborn into something that serves the world.

It has been a beautiful model for building an autonomous community. And I believe that at this time so many people are seeking the type of community that Burning Man has built for the past 30+ years.

This is the time for us all to stand together and grow as a larger community. To nurture the seeds that were planted in the desert as we grow them across the globe.
*spork*

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2020, 03:52:55 pm »

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2020, 07:53:12 pm »
In 2015 DPW built a trebuchet big enough to launch a piano

*spork*