Wetfish Drone General #1

• 63 Replies
Re: Wetfish Drone General #1
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2023, 10:28:09 pm »
I guess youtube is recommending me model plane videos now

*spork*

« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2023, 11:16:57 am »
i think it would be fun (but a lot of work) to make a dirgible lighter-than-air drone that doesn't use helium or hydrogen, but uses hot air. maybe one day scale that up too. idk if hot air lifts enough, or how to calculate this. like does it get more lift the hotter it gets???
m'lady

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2023, 11:29:50 pm »
i think it would be fun (but a lot of work) to make a dirgible lighter-than-air drone that doesn't use helium or hydrogen, but uses hot air. maybe one day scale that up too. idk if hot air lifts enough, or how to calculate this. like does it get more lift the hotter it gets???

I'm no expert in hot air balloons, but I did a few minutes of research and discovered that the amount of weight a hot air balloon can carry is in fact based on the difference between the temperature of the air outside of the balloon vs the air inside the balloon.

I found this ancient website that looks like it was made by a highschool teacher in the early 2000s which includes a calculator for determining the amount of weight a hot air balloon can carry for a given volume of air at different densities.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/hot-air-balloon-lifting-force-d_562.html

It turns out helium is about 4x as buoyant as a hot air balloon and hydrogen is 5x
*spork*

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2023, 11:39:36 pm »
*spork*