Let's talk about plants (botany thread)

• 16 Replies
Let's talk about plants (botany thread)
« on: November 18, 2019, 11:14:22 am »
Time to botanize some shit

I was just in California for work and saw this awesome banana bud.

I'd never seen a banana plant in bloom before so seeing this giant peduncle bent over with a bunch of flowers and bananas on it was pretty surprising.

*spork*

Kill Your Lawn
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 01:12:53 pm »
Kill Your Lawn

*spork*

Re: Let's talk about plants (botany thread)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 03:36:40 pm »
Check this shit out.

Parasitaxus ustus

It's a parasitic conifer. Yeah basically a pine tree without needles because it doesn't need them -- it steals its energy from other taller conifers in the forest. It only gets a few feet tall. Sometimes it's pink, other times it's white or even blue.

*spork*

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 07:23:08 pm »
Lawns are the worst meme.

I've been thinking about getting some indoor plants. Maybe spider plants, dracaena and aloe vera. I'd like to get some cacti too, but I don't think I could give them enough sunlight to make them happy.

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 05:27:39 pm »
Reminder that half of the vegetables you eat are all secretly the same plant.

*spork*

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 05:20:47 pm »
Time to botanize some shit

I was just in California for work and saw this awesome banana bud.

I'd never seen a banana plant in bloom before so seeing this giant peduncle bent over with a bunch of flowers and bananas on it was pretty surprising.

If you like weird banana plants... check this thing out! It's called the 1000 fingers banana

There's apparently a ton of variety in size, shape, flavor, and texture among bananas. This guy eats some!

*spork*

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 11:25:51 pm »
botany shitposts is a pretty good twitter account

https://twitter.com/commiecompost

*spork*

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 01:52:39 am »
I'm tellin' ya, when you start talkin' about flowers it gets lewd quick, okay?

so that ovary is already swelling www.swollenovaries.com that stigma is still glistening with its wetness

*spork*

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 01:29:08 pm »

25:35  "Just figured I'd do a video for all the potheads y'know"

27:55 "And again, there's the male, much more diminutive. About half the size of some of these females. You never really see males that are that big. Cause again, they are just a stunt cock. They are just there to spread the pollen around."
*spork*

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 12:32:20 pm »
Tfw the only reason there are still giant oldgrowth trees in California is because the wood was useless when cut down so they didn't bother logging it

History/Lore

The name sequoia came from the Cherokee Chief Sequoyah, who was also famed for framing the alphabet of his Native American tongue. Early loggers are said to have destroyed hundreds of ancient sequoias in search of wood for roof shingles, flumes, fence posts and poles. But sequoia wood lacks strength and breaks easily across the grain. When they would fell these massive trees, large portions of the trunk would shatter into thousands of short, jagged and worthless shards. Other portions of the tree were left behind because they were simply too large to haul out of the forest.

All of the old trees used to be so huge compared to what we have now......

*spork*

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 02:08:04 pm »
According to this guy, we only need 5% more forested area and/or 2% more cloud cover to negate the current effects of climate change.

SPONGE SPONGE SPONGE!
*spork*

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 05:24:14 pm »
Runoff from farms is only a problem when you till the ground and don't use cover crops

*spork*

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 12:36:43 pm »
not watching a two hour video c'mon man is there a transcript or something? rachel how do YOU find time to watch two hour videos? you're busier than i am!
m'lady

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 12:43:41 pm »
not watching a two hour video c'mon man is there a transcript or something? rachel how do YOU find time to watch two hour videos? you're busier than i am!

By setting aside the time for things I know are important.

I had that tab open in my browser all week last week, and then I watched it over the weekend. One hour on saturday and another hour on sunday.

You can watch a condensed version here (where I found it originally)

*spork*

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 11:14:24 pm »
I love how when Yucca plants start flowering it looks like asparagus

*spork*