old person request

• 4 Replies
old person request
« on: June 18, 2020, 06:25:22 pm »
the buttons in the thread compose are really small and i can't remember what they do based on graphic alone

could you please add the option of seeing text labels? that would help me out a lot.

i know what you're gonna say: but there's mouseover tooltips! and yes, there are! but they only show up if i hold the mouse over it perfectly still for a couple seconds. my hands shake so i have to take my hand off the mouse. also the mouse pointer covers up (mouse pointer is so big its bigger than the buttons) part of the label (so i have to guess at what the first word is) then i have to repeat for every button until i find the function i'm looking for.

i prefer text labels because i can easily scan rows of text

yes i know i'm dumb for not remembering what buttons do and normal people don't have this problem. think of me as the ultimate usability tester

PS are there hidden keyboard shortcuts for italics & stuff that i don't know about? it would be nice to know about them. thanks i love you all
m'lady

Re: old person request
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 05:57:42 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion!

This issue is being tracked on github - https://github.com/wetfish/online/issues/126
There is a $100 bounty for anyone who adds this feature - https://wiki.wetfish.net/bounties
*spork*

Re: old person request
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 07:38:05 pm »
could you please add the option of seeing text labels? that would help me out a lot.

i know what you're gonna say: but there's mouseover tooltips! and yes, there are! but they only show up if i hold the mouse over it perfectly still for a couple seconds. my hands shake so i have to take my hand off the mouse. also the mouse pointer covers up (mouse pointer is so big its bigger than the buttons) part of the label (so i have to guess at what the first word is) then i have to repeat for every button until i find the function i'm looking for.

i prefer text labels because i can easily scan rows of text

yes i know i'm dumb for not remembering what buttons do and normal people don't have this problem. think of me as the ultimate usability tester

Hrm interesting idea.   I was doing a little bit of exploratory digging in the later than what wetfish uses current 2.1.x branch of SMF on Github.

Someone tell me if we're veering off track here but ...

A) This forum software's version seems a bit old: 2.0.12 was released sometime before the 2.1.x branch of SMF that started in 2014.  I'm only noting this, because I found SMF's github repository.   It's releases there only cover the 2.1 branch... for 8 years of development, to present.

B) Back fully on topic, I'm thinking this should be dealt with as a "usability" or "ease of use" set of data / modifications.

As in:  Check a checkbox for "labels on editor buttons" and we add the text next to those buttons
This leaves it more open for expansion for other ease of use for, say, quattrogenerians and older on the forum that will be squinting more and more as hit the age where they grapple with requiring reading glasses.    Or having the text prominant so those who're much more sight impaired can use their screen readers more effectively.

C) If we figure a good way to implement this, it'd be worth passing onto Simple Machines so they could consider integrating it into their codebase.   Or if not, packaging it up as a mod that will work with the 2.0.x and 2.1.x codebases, for uses of SMF to modify their forums on their users behalf.

---

I dunno if there are keyboard shortcuts for the BBCodes as of yet, I'll try digging in the SMF documentation a bit more to see if that's an option.

Edit: speeling correction.

Maybe just make the buttons bigger
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 02:42:45 pm »
the buttons in the thread compose are really small and i can't remember what they do based on graphic alone

Are you sure the reason you can't remember the graphics is because the graphics are too small? I know what all the buttons (except the ones circled below) do based on the icon alone:

I don't even need the tooltips!

Maybe it'd help to just make both the buttons and icons larger, instead of necessitating text labels. It'd certainly be easy to implement.

USER WAS BANNED FROM THIS TOPIC
Reason: can't read (your points are addressed in the OP)

use Foon™

Re: Maybe just make the buttons bigger
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 09:00:15 am »
the buttons in the thread compose are really small
just make both the buttons and icons larger... It'd certainly be easy to implement.

You'd think, but no.  Before I left home I waded through the code and the buttons are made of multiple images with prescribed pixel height and width.  The answer seems to be making a new "theme" (look) for the forum, with new images and height+width for the buttons.  I haven't figured out yet how to change themes, maybe the theme-changing is all hidden when there's only one theme.... or maybe the software doesn't have per-user theme choice it's site-wide only.  :/

Would be better to use actual buttons instead of images, so users could use custom CSS anyways >_<

HERE CUMS THE FUCK TRUCK TIPPED 1000 CORAL FOR THIS POST