Wetfish LAND Party

• 118 Replies
Re: Wetfish LAND Party
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2021, 12:53:53 am »
wow i look good from behind. lol but yeah seeing all that mess turned into something nice was great, although i'm curious as to how they're going to get buried, i think we were talking about generating massive ammounts of compost, by taking food waste of sorts from grasses and the like.

I'm going to dig the soil from up hill of the hugels and cover them. Thereby creating an even deeper basin to collect water, and not costing me anything.

A big goal for me is to use as many on-site resources as possible to keep costs down. The cheaper it is for us to figure out how to do these things, the more people will be able to replicate our work.
*spork*

« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2021, 12:24:02 pm »
Yesterday I went for a hike with this girl I have a crush on.

There hasn't been much rain this summer but fortunately the waterfall is still flowing!

We walked down into the valley, up to the waterfall, and down to the middle falls where we turned around. The whole hike through the valley we were picking wild berries and mint. We sat on the pot rock ate a sandwich & some granola bars.

Also we found a couple piles of bear poop in the trail!

*spork*

« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2021, 09:22:47 am »
Went for a hike with Woodcat and her roommates over the weekend. We hiked around and hung out by the waterfall for a couple hours, then at sunset we hiked back up to the top of the mountain and watched Jupiter and the moon rise over the horizon. It was totally not planned at all, just a fun serendipitous adventure.

*spork*

« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2021, 02:11:40 am »
We now have a flat spot for a trailer / cabin

Yeeehaw!!!

And we planted a bunch of trees along the trail and made little rock barriers & steps to redirect water off of the trail and onto the trees <33

Special Thanks to Lovingsnek, Emilypi, and Meleeman for helping

*spork*

« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2021, 07:23:45 pm »
Took some measurements of the appproximate property elevation based on google maps topographical lines

Elevation
(in Feet)
   Description
   
6400   North West corner of the property
5960   North East corner of the property
   
6320   Ladder Trail (Trailhead)
5960   Ladder Trail (Trailfoot)
   
6080   Upper Falls (Top)
6040   Upper Falls (Bottom)
   
5920   Middle Falls (Top)
5880   Middle Falls (Bottom)
   
5790   Valley floor at the east property line

This means that the Ladder Trail hike is approximately 360 feet in elevation change. A hike from the lowest point on the property to the Ladder Trailhead would be 530 feet and the maximum possible elevation change on the property is 610 feet.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 07:34:03 pm by rachel »
*spork*

« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2021, 03:50:15 pm »
The hugels are really starting to come along! I have several spots built up where I'm going to put ponds

*spork*

« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2021, 06:38:54 pm »
this is some excellent land, it will prove bounteous and righteous with dank ponds and garden hugels

RACHEL TIPPED FOR THIS POST

RACHEL TIPPED FOR THIS POST

« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2021, 12:08:22 am »
It's winter so now the stream is a giant frozen ice slide!!!

*spork*

« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2021, 07:45:44 pm »
My neighbor gave me permission to build a new road down to another flat spot on his property. Unlike the first access road that I cleared out, there is no existing road down to this 2nd flat spot. Kakama, Messik, and I all went down with my truck, some tow straps, and mattocks to start building a new road. We've dug out about 20-30 feet by hand so far. Almost enough to safely get the truck down from the switchback. Once we get the first part of the road leveled out we'll be able to make the rest of the road by simply towing logs out of the way

This is the planned route for the new road. It's a little bit curved at the beginning to follow the natural slope of the hill, then it's pretty much a straight shot to the flat spot.

*spork*

« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2021, 10:03:47 am »
We've spent 3 days so far working on the road, digging out the hillside to even out the grade and dragging huge logs.

Here are some before and after pictures :D

(Click to expand the thumbnails)

Before

After

*spork*

« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2022, 11:34:29 pm »
Found this pic lovingsnek took from a while back in November

*spork*

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2022, 01:44:12 am »
Before and after pics, a lot has changed in the past year...

*spork*

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2022, 01:49:05 am »
Some more before and after pictures. Sorry that they aren't from the same angle!! But this is actually the same part of the trail

*spork*

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2022, 01:55:00 am »
We've been getting so much snow this year <3

*spork*

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2022, 02:03:26 am »
And of course you can go slide down the hill by the waterfall

*spork*