Wetfish LAND Party

• 118 Replies
Re: Wetfish LAND Party
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2020, 09:36:37 pm »
*BONUS* INFINITE CHAINSAW ENERGY

We have two 6 Ah batteries for the chainsaw, which each last for a couple hours of cutting small limbs. The chainsaw battery only takes about an hour to charge so we can essentially work indefinitely. We'll run out of chain & bar oil before we run out of electricity.

*spork*

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2020, 10:32:51 pm »
After clearing the driveway we started marking the property line so we can get a better feel for the buildable area. Our property lines are a square, straight lines north east south west from each corner. We used a 100 foot measuring tape and a compass from the corner marker and started putting flags every 100 feet

*spork*

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2020, 10:36:27 pm »
Then we measured the pit

Turns out it's a lot bigger than we thought it was

20 feet long, 16 feet wide, and 11 feet deep

*spork*

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2020, 10:41:46 pm »
Then we went for a hike along the stream.

Check out these frozen waterfalls :D

*spork*

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2020, 08:46:59 pm »
Yesterday Sonder, rachdogg, and I all went up to the mountain. Started by bringing a couple bags of compost and finding a suitable location to start a compost pile. I wanted something close to the driveway so it would be easy to unload compost and soil from our truck in the future, but somewhere protected that would retain moisture. There was a patch of snow in a shady spot and that's where I picked.

The first couple inches of topsoil was frozen but much to my surprise, beneath the layer of ice I found dark loamy soil. I dug a pit, and buried the bags of compost. We found a couple cowpies on the driveway so we threw those on top as well.

*spork*

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2020, 08:53:30 pm »
Then we started our hike down to the stream. We tied a couple ropes to a tree to give us something to hold on to in the steep part.

We found this interesting rock which appeared to contain spheres of iron??? I want to go back with a magnet to see if it's magnetic.

We smoked some pot on the large flat rock between the trees in the center of this photo, which is now known as The Pot Rockā„¢

Speaking of rocks. Check out these cool fucking rocks

Here's a picture of Sonder taking a picture of an icy waterfall, lol. Very 2020 aesthetic

Also we found some tracks. Mountain lion maybe?

*spork*

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2020, 08:55:44 pm »
Sonder took this amazing photo of me & Rachel by the big cliff. I love how it captures the scale of everything with the cliff framed by trees and the mountain in the background.

*spork*

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2020, 09:26:37 pm »
Today is the last day of weather in the 40s - 50s. It's going to be cold and snowy for the rest of the week, so I had to go back up to the mountain and finish the compost pile. We have a compost bin at our house, but it's underneath the deck so it doesn't get enough moisture to properly break down. I loaded up a bunch of the compost from our bin into the truck and buried it.

*spork*

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2020, 05:17:58 am »
pot rock <3 i wanna see the pot rock

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2021, 09:50:59 pm »
went up to the mountain to chainsaw more today

cleaned up a bunch more of the logs around the driveway

my mom asked me to take a selfie wearing all of my protective gear

tonight my homework is learning to use one of these things

*spork*

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2021, 10:05:36 pm »
I hate petroleum. Standard bar oil you buy at the store is so nasty. It smells gross. It's toxic to plants. And it pollutes water.

I'm going to spend 4x as much to get biodegradable bar & chain oil instead. It's worth it

*spork*

Ozmiander

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2021, 01:11:38 pm »
Just buy a gallon jug of canola instead.

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2021, 08:11:08 pm »
Chainsaw chainsaw chainsaw chainsaw.

Check out my piles of logs

*spork*

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2021, 08:25:45 pm »
Bonus: Beetle art :O

*spork*

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2021, 12:32:14 am »
It snowed on Saturday so I haven't been up to the land for a few days. Fortunately it started warming up today so I went up this morning and made some snowballs filled with native wildflower seeds and threw them around the property.

That's when I spotted some mouse tracks in the snow!

The deer have been using the trails we cleared through the trees. It's cool seeing their footsteps in the snow along the trails we made

Then I took the mattock and started clearing the first 100 feet of the trail down to the valley.

It's going to take a lot of work, but I figure if I do a little bit each time I go up there, it will only take a couple weeks to get a trail all the way down.
*spork*