should floof be removed from freefish

• 41 Replies
Re: should floof be removed from wetfish
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2021, 12:41:00 am »
... and a #skyfish for talking about the weather and a #coloradofish for talking about anything related to colorado ...

There actually already is a #colorado channel.... Lol, just saying

You mean... I've been a member of this network for years now and theres channels I don't even know/totally forgot exist or I just don't even go in them and it has no effect or bearing on my life or day to day decisions or mental well being what so ever?!??!?! Maybe I can teach everyone this power, my gift.

Hey I see where you're coming from but it's coming off as pretty sarcastic and condescending. Let's all just get along and hold hands please

*spork*

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 12:44:22 am »
... and a #skyfish for talking about the weather and a #coloradofish for talking about anything related to colorado ...

There actually already is a #colorado channel.... Lol, just saying

You mean... I've been a member of this network for years now and theres channels I don't even know/totally forgot exist or I just don't even go in them and it has no effect or bearing on my life or day to day decisions or mental well being what so ever?!??!?! Maybe I can teach everyone this power, my gift.

Hey I see where you're coming from but it's coming off as pretty sarcastic and condescending. Let's all just get along and hold hands please

sure but uh socially distanced.
carpetdime

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 06:37:25 am »
Banning someone for being wrong or obnoxious seems contrary to the general feeling of this place.  Everyone here has annoyed me at some point in time or another.  Well except for kate, but her time is coming.  And that goes double for myself.  I'm sure I've stepped on toes here and that's even with my pathological need to be liked (have you ever noticed that?). 

I would have preferred a temp ban, some kind of penance, or the silent treatment where we all pretend that we have floof on ignore for a half hour and shame him in the third person.  Like say things like, "floof is so bad at personal hygiene."  Or we could all scream at him till he cries.  I think that's what the Maoists did.

Anyway, since I still get to talk to him in #flooffish, I don't actually care.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 10:00:37 am by Diabolizer »
aka luke

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2021, 11:50:37 am »
This is a decision about what you want wetfish to be.

I frequently hear about how it’s a goal to make wetfish more diverse. When you allow channels like freefish and poomp to exist on the network, and people from these groups join the network and see the kind of content that’s permitted on those channels, they will probably decide not to stay.

Many users who made excellent contributions have left over the years because the network allows this kind of behavior.

So from my perspective, it’s really a question of what you value more: do you want to make the network a place that’s welcoming to a more diverse community, or do you want to keep it the way it is?

I am not in freefish and I have floof on /ignore, but new users are just going to leave the network instead.

¯

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 12:04:37 pm »

I frequently hear about how it’s a goal to make wetfish more diverse. When you allow channels like freefish and poomp to exist on the network, and people from these groups join the network and see the kind of content that’s permitted on those channels, they will probably decide not to stay.

Many users who made excellent contributions have left over the years because the network allows this kind of behavior.

So from my perspective, it’s really a question of what you value more: do you want to make the network a place that’s welcoming to a more diverse community, or do you want to keep it the way it is?

I am not in freefish and I have floof on /ignore, but new users are just going to leave the network instead.

¯

lowkey vote to ban what again.

floof may have an awkward communication style, but he is pretty far from... i dunno, whatever what is.
Most of arguements involving floof are 3 people calling him rslurred over and over and him repeating his nonsense ar

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2021, 01:02:58 pm »

¯

I agree this is a decision about what Wetfish wants to be. I disagree that restricting expression or behavior fosters diversity.

The more rules you put on behavior, the more limits you put on expression, the more ideas that are deemed offensive or "retarded", the closer you get to a monoculture. It may be true that your monoculture appeals to a broader user base, but that doesn't equal diversity. Strictly speaking, a monoculture requires less diversity than a pluralist community. Despite the fact that it includes more people that agree with you, it also excludes people that hold different values. Pluralism is uncomfortable, it guarantees conflict, but by definition it is more diverse and inclusive of different schools of thought.

People that reject this setup are authoritarians. Not making a value judgment, just want to be clear that the argument that's being made against the existing laissez-faire policy is authoritarian in nature.

Wetfish is already diverse. How many communities do you know of that have users with polar opposite political views? To me that is a special thing about wetfish and worth defending. I like being able to find the common humanity in people I disagree with. Frob and I have even bonded a couple times over similar struggles and Frob hates my guts. That's beautiful.

I would rather attract users that are OK with ignoring users or parting channels they don't like. If that means scaring away authoritarians and proponents of monoculture du jour, so be it. That's my 2 cents. Which do we value more? Rachel has already expressed her preference to keep things free and diverse the way they are. I agree.
o bb

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2021, 03:05:36 pm »

I agree this is a decision about what Wetfish wants to be. I disagree that restricting expression or behavior fosters diversity.

The more rules you put on behavior, the more limits you put on expression, the more ideas that are deemed offensive or "retarded", the closer you get to a monoculture. It may be true that your monoculture appeals to a broader user base, but that doesn't equal diversity. Strictly speaking, a monoculture requires less diversity than a pluralist community. Despite the fact that it includes more people that agree with you, it also excludes people that hold different values. Pluralism is uncomfortable, it guarantees conflict, but by definition it is more diverse and inclusive of different schools of thought.

People that reject this setup are authoritarians. Not making a value judgment, just want to be clear that the argument that's being made against the existing laissez-faire policy is authoritarian in nature.

Wetfish is already diverse. How many communities do you know of that have users with polar opposite political views? To me that is a special thing about wetfish and worth defending. I like being able to find the common humanity in people I disagree with. Frob and I have even bonded a couple times over similar struggles and Frob hates my guts. That's beautiful.

I would rather attract users that are OK with ignoring users or parting channels they don't like. If that means scaring away authoritarians and proponents of monoculture du jour, so be it. That's my 2 cents. Which do we value more? Rachel has already expressed her preference to keep things free and diverse the way they are. I agree.

boat

Ozmiander

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2021, 03:40:09 pm »
What the FUCK is this dumb shit?

Ozmiander

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2021, 03:42:52 pm »
Who the fuck cares about floof? Care about bullshit refusal to moderate the server and enforce simple rules like "don't ban evade" and not just throwing up your hands and getting mad when people expect much better from you, especially as you bleed users because of it.

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2021, 04:52:51 pm »
Who the fuck cares about floof? Care about bullshit refusal to moderate the server and enforce simple rules like "don't ban evade" and not just throwing up your hands and getting mad when people expect much better from you, especially as you bleed users because of it.

5 people voted for the removal of floof, 7 people voted against the removal of floof. You say people "expect much better from me" and I "refuse to moderate the server"

Why should I take moderation action when a majority of people want him here?

Why is it so hard for people to simply leave #freefish?

How is quitting the entire network somehow a more sensible thing to do than leave a single channel?
*spork*

Ozmiander

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2021, 07:06:52 pm »
You still refuse to see why people are actually mad for some reason..

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2021, 07:13:30 pm »
You still refuse to see why people are actually mad for some reason..

Can you please say why people are actually mad???
*spork*

Ozmiander

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2021, 07:15:35 pm »
Because you ignore any problems, then handwave them, then flip out and call everyone whiners

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2021, 07:30:39 pm »
Because you ignore any problems, then handwave them, then flip out and call everyone whiners

Freefish is moderated by ceph. It's his channel. You are deciding that this is my problem.

In your mind, what action should I take? Some people are saying that I need to "remove the tumor" and shut down these channels completely. Others are saying that is insane and they don't want the channel closed, they just hate floof!

If you really don't like floof that much, just leave the channel. Or ignore him. You're saying that it's MY DUTY to go into ceph's channel and remove somebody because you and a couple of your friends find him annoying?

Can you please articulate what you think should be done instead of just telling me to "do my job"?
*spork*

Ozmiander

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2021, 07:41:37 pm »
You don't get to shrik responsibility for free fish because YOU own it. You are responsible for every channel on your network. And I am NOT calling for you to ban him because he's annoying, that's why I LIKE him being there.nim telling you to ban him because he ban evades and straight up tells you there's nothing you can do about it, and you ignore it like every other problem on wetfish.